Simatic S5-100

jimpad

I've got a potential customer who has an existing system with a Siemens S5-100 and and eprom plugged into the cpu. He wants me to convert to Automation Direct hardware. What will it take to read the logic from the S5-100. I have no experience or tools w/Siemens equip.

Thanks,
Jim

No, they don't have any documentation, this is a used metal baler they purchased and are having problems with. If I get the software and adapter is it possible the program may be password protected or some other means of protection which will prevent me from being able to access the code?

Thanks,

Tell you the truth I was not sure but I can not find a reference to password protection in the manual. I have VERY limited experience with the S5, its a strange creature.

If this is a standard feed in the top hydraulic press and cube baler then it would probably be easier to start from scratch. There wouldnt be documentation with the program anyway so you would still have to reverse engineer the program. I am not sure how to describe it but the S5 had some unique instructions or ways to handle instructions.

OT: I just noticed your town, I got married on the fairgrounds in Paducah.

To have a reasonable chance to convert the original program, then you must have either a printout with comments and symbols, or the project file so that you can create a new printout.

If that is OK, the next requirement is a minimal understanding of S5.
If you are very lucky then you can view the program in LAD (ladder - aka KOP), if you are almost as lucky then you can view it in FBD (function blocks - aka FUP), if you are out of luck then you can only view it in STL (statement list - aka AWL).
Converting from LAD should be straightforward, from FBD not so difficult, from STL very difficult.

There IS a possibility to protect program blocks on the S5 system, but it is rarely used.

If I pull the eprom would somebody here be willing to read it and printout the ladder?

RS, What was going on at the fairgrounds that you ended up married? Gas and steam engine show, Scottish highlands festival...?

Thanks,
Jim

jimpad said:
If I pull the eprom would somebody here be willing to read it and printout the ladder?

I would Jim,

Only problem is I am over this side of the pond. If you get no other offers and you really want to go down this route then just PM me and I will give you my address.

Paul

RS, What was going on at the fairgrounds that you ended up married? Gas and steam engine show, Scottish highlands festival...?

I used to travel with a carnival that played state and county fairs, Paducah I played 10 out of 12 years I think. They would have harness racing and betting windows. I quit doing that in 94 so havent been up that way in a while.