Strange Motor Wiring?

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer with a motor which is by a company called McMillan from Mexico. P/N 8212165036.

It's a 110/220 Single phase and the wiring diagram on the motor shows:

Wht -> Line
Blk/Blu -> Line
Red/Yel -> Ins.
Grn -> Grd.

The Ins. designation is new to me. Has anyone seen this. Does it mean (as I think) to tie the lines together and insulate them from everything else?

thanks,

If it is a single phase motor like you say, then you could do an ohm test to find the forward and reverse winding, and the common. This is what it looks like, a reversible single phase motor. In my experience anyway, I have seen this. I may be wrong though, I haven't even considered your part number.

I have been wrong before and will be wrong again, but will learn from each instance and take it forward

I found McMillan Electric/McMillan Motors via Google, but big brother here has their web site on the "unapproved" list evidently.

Usually a single phase motor has 8 leads plus a ground unless a thermal switch is involved then you would have 2 more.

On single phase single voltage motor there may be just 4 wires, 1, 4, 5 and 8, that come out and you change direction by switching 5 and 8.
http://www.patchn.com/motor_connections.htm

A dual voltage single phase motor usually has 8 leads or terminals for making the connections between low and high voltage.

I will look around and see what I can come up with.
I had to think about this but there is a color guide on the link above, 1=Blu, 4=Yel, 5=Black and 8=Red. Is there a terminal block on the motor? Something like this?
https://vip.baldor.com/VIP/baldorProductPDFServlet?connection=CD0804

Last edited:
mgvol said:
I found McMillan Electric/McMillan Motors via Google, but big brother here has their web site on the "unapproved" list evidently.

I found that and they have been called. It's not their motor. Seems someone in Mexio set up shop with their name for instant credibility :-(