picture

walters

does someone have a picture of an very old PLC (i prefer a pic of the first PLC). im looking for it bout half an hour now but cant find a thing only newer models
please help me out

regards walters

Here's an S5 that I ripped out this week (replaced by a nice compact Mitsibushi FX1n)

s5-plc.jpg

PLCs were first called just PCs (programmable controllers) prior to the advent of the IBM PC. “PLC” is actually an Allen Bradley trademark, so technically, they are the inventor of the PLC, PLC is now the “kleenex” of the controls industry. AB however did not make the first programmable controller. That distinction probably goes to the makers of the MOdular DIgital CONtroller, though there is some debate on that topic. At any rate the MODICON was the first practical industrial installation. I heard somewhere that it had only 128 words of memory or something like that and it was ridiculously slow - come to think of it, the three 984s we still have in operation here are kind of slow as well. I think it was a model 084. Hope that helps.

Alaric said:
An OLD AB PLC3
The oldest bit of gear in that first photo is the 1774 (aka PLC1) in the top right corner. The thing just below is the "distribution panel" for the remote I/O (the only kind you could have). Its power supply (about the same physical size) must be out of the photo's frame.

here is one i pulled out last week..It has 2 input cards and 2 output cards alaong with 3 TTL cards that connect a touch panel. The rest of the cards are the CPU,Memory Scan monitor card's..has a wopping 16K memory..Not to shabby for its time..Ran like a charm daily for over 20 years 365 days a year..

These guys still make PLC's today...
plc.JPG