Siemens S7 connection with Phoenix modem

Peter Top

Hello

I have a siemens S7 300 plc with a PC adapter USB/MPI/DP and i want to make a connection with a phoenix PSI data/fax-modem but this component has a rs232 connection. how can i make this connection is there a cable availible?? I know there is a cable otherwise usb to RS232 but is there a rs232 to usb ????
(I dont want to by a PC adapter, 232/MPI/DP :) )

Last edited:
Unfortunately your PC adapter USB cannot be used with a modem. (the serial PC adapter also cannot be used with a modem).
You need a TS adapter ("TS" is for TeleService).

Alternatively there are units with a combined modem and MPI/Profibus adapter. But these are even more expensive than a TS adapter alone.

I use a 5511 , so don't have my "dongle" with me , though I recall that it was a TS adapter , or am I mistaken ? can the TS adapter also be used for PC comms ?

The serial PC adapter has the type number 6ES7972-0CA23-0XA0. It can only be used for online programming via a directly connected PC.

The TS adapter has the type number 6ES7972-0CA33-0XA0. It can be used for programming, connected directly or remotely via a modem.
There should be some dipswitches on the TS adapter that are used to set it for either modem or direct connection.

My one has at least one dipswitch , for baud select - but I can't remember if there is more than one switch. Is there a big difference in price ?

No, the PC adapter is approx 250 EURO.
The TS adapter is approx 300 EURO.

But to use the TS adapter for programming in general is not so great. The performance of both the TS adapter and the serial PC adapter is not good.
The PC adapter USB is much better (3-5 times faster !).

Is the USB diddly self powered ? in other words , can it be connected to slave devices or repeaters without power ( to the bus)
My dongle has been converted so that it can be used at any point in the bus (it has external 24V if required) if the USB watsit is self powered , then it is worth getting on as a backup .

The PC adapter USB needs 24V from the plug on the PLC side. So it is intended to hang directly off the programming socket on a PLC.
It would be possible to supply the 24V from an external source by means of an adapter cable.

It runs up to 1.5M on the MPI/DP side.

The online throughput is somewhere between a serial PC adapter and a CP5511. Approx 3-5 times the speed of a serial PC adapter.

Not Bad , might be worth investing . Have you had any dealings with the little IM 151-7 CPU ? I cam across one today , an initially thought it was just an ET200, then I saw the little card slot (strangely unoccupied) and "cpu" in little letters . I have been trying to find a manual for it in SEA support , but they have nothing (that I can find) . Looks quite interesting , and if its capabilities are as broad as they seem from the catalog , I can find a use or two for it .

I havent worked with it. This is what I know:

The IM 151-7 is exactly the same as an S7-300 CPU, only in the ET200S format.
If you already use ET200S, the IM151-7 could cut down on the number of parts in your inventory (by not having to stock S7-300 or S7-400 parts).
I downer is that there is no Ethernet capability.