Simatic vs. Telemechanique Altivar

marius

I'm just seeking for the way to connect Simatic C7-635 (it has CPU314-2DP module inside) (or simply any Simatic from 300 line) with variable speed drive for asynchronous motors Telemechanique Altivar ATV-31 (or similar from this model line) via 485 bus?

The question is: Did anybody tried this yet, is it possible, please?

I've got complete documentation for this Altivars with variable description (it should be able communicate on MODBUS and CANOPEN) and, of course seeks through many pages and ask schneider-electric's tech support - but they just sayed "it supports MODBUS" so i'm unsure of that.

Thanks for any info.

Chose a S7-300 and not the C7.
You can then add a CP341 module. It speaks modbus via a socalled "loadable driver". It will be a bit expensive and crude though.

Simpler would be to pick an Altivar model that speaks Profibus.
There are more expensive models that do that. If you do that you can save the CP341.
In the end the expense will be allmost similar, but the result better.

... it seems, like i absolutely overlooked the protocol description ... well, now it's choice of analog modules (which is supported by mentioned altivars) or the cp341 you suggested - simply because i have ten of them on the table in next room :)

Anyway, thank you Jesper! you saved me at the least few hours of searching as i am still beginner with siemens hw :)

Right, good old analog and digital signals may be the easiest solution.

Even so, I recommend using S7-300 and not the C7. It gives you more options and is not so "strange". The savings in having the PLC and OP in one unit is soon lost if you have to exchange it once or just want to add some i/o that doesnt fit on the C7 unit.