RSview32: Saving a Screenprint how to ???

AndrewB

hi

i have a rsview32 runtime which is running a datalog which is being trended using trendx wrapper.

Currently the operators have a button which just dumps the whole screen to the system printer.

What i want to do is same a copy of this on the hdd as a image ie JPG or something with a user defined file name.

There is other data on the screen which they keep as well which is why i want the screen dump method.

any ideas on how to tackle this?

How about installing a utility like PDF995?
You can direct any application's print output to it and it makes a pdf file out of it.

Gerry saves the day again!

Perfect, exactly what i want & the pdfs are nice n small too.

just gotta educate the operators on some sort of syntax to use for the file names :)

next problem.

Appactive only wants to make pdf995 running on hte task bar flash, not pull it to the front.

Actaully all apps launched from RSView32 are doing this??

any ideas?

AndrewB said:
next problem.

Appactive only wants to make pdf995 running on hte task bar flash, not pull it to the front.

Actaully all apps launched from RSView32 are doing this??

any ideas?
There's a registry key "ForegroundLockTimeout" that Windows 2000 and XP set to 200000 by default. The units are milliseconds. It means that if nothing happens on the foreground screen (RSView) for 200 seconds, then the backgound app will come forward.

Use regedit to find all instances of the key (from memory I think there's more than one) and change the value to zero - the value that the key had in NT. The background app will then come forward immediately.

hmmm

didnt make any difference

Maybe because its appearing as a printer.
Tried an appactivate on it which just makes it flash :(

Any more ideas?

Hi,

Just like to find out if the PDF995 is available in the RSView32 CDrom or additional software? Need to purchase?

Andrew, may I know how to rename the file for the print screen? You have to rename using windows format? (right click/rename) or you did any VBA programming in RSView32 for renaming?

I'm working on a similar proj requirement as well....thanks a lot.

its a third party program (not a rockwell one)
you will need to download it from there?

what Ive set it to do is automatically rotate to landscape then pop up a SAVE AS box.

PDF995 appears as a printer. when you print to it it writes a pdf file. You can set a default directory to write to using PDF995 edit (seperate download)

its about $10 to get a registration key....

no vba simple as.

I ended up doing a command something like this on the Print button

SCREENPRINT HPBuisnessJet_IPport (prints to system printer)
SCREENPRINT pdf995 (prints to PDF maker)
PAUSE 3 (allow time for app to start)
APPACTIVATE pdf995 Save As (Pull Save As box to foreground)

AndrewB said:
its a third party program (not a rockwell one)
you will need to download it from there?

what Ive set it to do is automatically rotate to landscape then pop up a SAVE AS box.

PDF995 appears as a printer. when you print to it it writes a pdf file. You can set a default directory to write to using PDF995 edit (seperate download)

its about $10 to get a registration key....

no vba simple as.

I ended up doing a command something like this on the Print button

SCREENPRINT HPBuisnessJet_IPport (prints to system printer)
SCREENPRINT pdf995 (prints to PDF maker)
PAUSE 3 (allow time for app to start)
APPACTIVATE pdf995 Save As (Pull Save As box to foreground)

APPACTIVATE pdf995 Save As (Pull Save As box to foreground)<--- so when it saves, it'll rename itself automatically numerically? or everytime u print it'll saved as the same name and override the old file?

using pdf995edit (comes with it) you can pick one of 3 options for how the pdf is saved.

1. Pop up a save as windows box requesting a file name.
You can lock the path where it is saved.

2. Automatically give it a unique name (incremental) in the path of your choice

3. Save it as the same name everytime.
You can choose if you wish to overwrite or add to the existing pdf.

AndrewB said:
using pdf995edit (comes with it) you can pick one of 3 options for how the pdf is saved.

1. Pop up a save as windows box requesting a file name.
You can lock the path where it is saved.

2. Automatically give it a unique name (incremental) in the path of your choice

3. Save it as the same name everytime.
You can choose if you wish to overwrite or add to the existing pdf.

Hi andrew,

Thx for ur info, option 2 is good enough for saving data log files :)

datalog files, im not sure what you mean?

why not use the windows scheduled tasks thing to back them up
or use a network drive as the primary datalog path and the local one as a secondary?