Plc5/250

The phone.

Seriously. The PLC-5/250 controllers are obsolete and complicated, and the AI-5/250 software is very expensive.

I strongly recommend not taking on a PLC-5/250 project if you have never used one before. It is not a beginner's system.

Ken,

You've peaked my interests. When and what for what this controller used? I'm relatively young & haven't ran into one yet.

This a project we will be looking at taking up on to the contrologix platform. However, before the plan can be put in action I will need a copy of the existing network transfers and interface blocks for the ControlView data trasfers. PGH

There aren't many of these out there, but I think AB offers a double conversion method -
First PLC5/250 to PLC5,
then PLC5 to CLX. But I'm not 100% sure.
Check with AB tech support.

ControlView ! Wow, that's a blast from the past.

I understand where you're coming from, but I still think that you'd be better off concentrating your efforts on how the system can be improved with ControlLogix, and using an experienced partner to deal with getting the existing functionality transcribed from the PLC-5/250.

AI-5/250 software can no longer be purchased from Rockwell. The last time I saw it as purchasable the price had ballooned to over $10,000.

So, seriously, you should hire a programmer or Rockwell to help you get this information out of the old system. I know that RA has a few guys nationwide who do nothing but upgrades of this sort so they can do it efficiently.

We painfully converted a PLC5/250 to redundant ControlLogix. Still the integrator that supported the PLC5/250 knew the system and process very well, but did not know the ControlLogix enough to leverage the power and scalability of it to convert it effectively.

If you don't know both systems and the process intimately, then seek out a qualified integrator.

Thanx

This is good because we can now set the monies aside for the AB support on this project. PGH

CroCop said:
Ken,

You've peaked my interests. When and what for what this controller used? I'm relatively young & haven't ran into one yet.
Count yourself lucky!

Originally designed to be known as PLC-6, it got a late name change. It was supposed to be THE ultimate system because you could plug a microVax into the backplane. It was announced with great fanfare and TV broadcasts featuring Ken Olson, Don Davis, Rody Salas, Jody Glore, Tracy O'Rourke, and sundry others. Then it promptly fell flat. It never managed to live up to the hype.