Windows XP

401Bill

Can someone please tell me if "Windows XP Home Edition" has the "System Restore" feature on it that allows you to restore the computer to an earlier time? I know that the Professional Edition has this.

As Ron pointed out Yes. Problem is if you leave it on and run into an issue and keep rebooting you'll eventually be restoring with the screwed up settings. My advise is to turn off system restore after you are sure that your machine is clean and stable. Then when you go to restore you'll restore to thoes settings. If you load some new software be sure to turn on system restore, reboot, then turn it off again to save the new config in the system restore.

exactly, it will backup only system dll's and choosen executables, other suspicious extensions and configuration files like 'installed programs information or registry '... this is better than nothing, but will not solve much ... you'd better use some partition-based backup application instead of this imho

croakus said:
Marius,
What do you mean by

What would you recommend for an XP Pro OS?

Mike

What he means is to backup your OS on another drive or partition. That would make for the quickest recovery. Drive space is cheap compaired to the time is cost$ to recover.