micrologix 1000

agrippa2111

I had a old micrologix 1000 I had to use on a press to do some simple operations. I have gotten a fault about 4 times in 3 days I cant remember the fault # but it is dumping the memory. I read the fault help and it said it could be grounding and a couple other things could some one help me.

As much as I like AB products, the 1000 was a pile of garbage. Your problem is not uncommon, and the best they can say is check the grounding.

Rip it out & replace it with a 1200 or 1500.

Edited for typo

Last edited:
Well I was gonna ask how old it was but then CroCop stole my fire... I preffered an AB in some industrial applications where the plant had power quality issues and they always could take a punch or two with little or no problem. But he's right, the 1000's are like Bic lighters, toss it(they're dirt cheap anyways) and spend a few extra bucks. How many I/O's? If it's a little one you might be able to get away with what they call "smart relays" (ABB makes em, Banner makes em), if you're just doing timers or counters, standup input ot outputs, you might be better off with something you can set with dip switches or pots, no complicated clocks or watchdog to hiccup if something spikes.

this press is old and I dont want to invest to much money in it, but the transformer is probably trash, I just started working at the company and this 1000 was just lying around I have another one. I dont want this to be a continuous issue cause i have no support on the off shifts they are plc illiterates so I need to make this work. if i have to spend more money I guess i could, we need the production out of this machine.

Look at the ML1200.
Very reasonable on the price, much higher quality product.

What is your IO count?

Does the Islatrol use MOV's? How does their surge protection work? Do you need a UPS to be used in conjunction if it's a big control? Always open to different stuff.... We obtained these modules from EP and they were pretty tough too.

AnthonyF8:0 said:
Does the Islatrol use MOV's? How does their surge protection work? Do you need a UPS to be used in conjunction if it's a big control? Always open to different stuff.... We obtained these modules from EP and they were pretty tough too.

Yes, it contains MOVs so after taking one vicious hit (lightening, whatever) is has to be replaced. Not unlike a EMI filter, I've seen those smoke too. Both are sacrificial devices to protect sensitive electronics; a necessary evil if you will.