Plc2 Swap To Ge Fanuc 90-30 Help!!!

HELLO AGAIN ALL,

Let me start by saying, I am a Manufacturing Engineering Manager who greatly misses his Controls Engineer! I am learning (and excited about it) but please forgive my ignorance!
I have two machines that have old!!! PLC2's in them and two with PLC5's in them. The rest of our machines are GE Fanuc 90-30's which I am most familiar with (although that is not saying alot).

I am preparing to refurbish one of the PLC2 machines and part of that process will be to replace the existing PLC with a GE Fanuc 90-30 with 364 CPU and programmed with Proficy Machine Edition. I have a printout of the AB PLC2 program. I would like to go through it and duplicate the existing program in Proficy as a starting point. One of my problems (of which I have many) is that I don't know how to interpret the AB descriptions of the coils??? There are 156 rungs in the program. My hardcopy includes the Word, Counter, and Bit cross reference listings.

Does anyone have or know where I can find a description of what the digits mean?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!

Cheers!

Scott

Here's the PLC-2 Addressing manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/5000-rm004_-en-p.pdf

Here's a link to the 2/20 Programming manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1772-pm001_-en-p.pdf

You can go to the www.ab.com web site and search the "Manual On-Line" under Progammable Controllers - Legacy Products for more info.

It would seem to me that upgrading to the PLC5 would be the easier/cheaper way to go...

Hope this helps,
-William

Hey William,

Thanks! I'll check out the links and try to wade through the logic.

The problem with going to PLC5 is that we don't have the RSLOGIX software (not to mention I am completely unfamiliar with the software and AB plcs). For the price of the software, I can buy the 90-30 equipment (off of ebay) and be closer to standardizing on one PLC platform and software. I want us to be able to utilize the software for trouble-shooting the machines.
Cheers!

Scott