Somewhat OT, Standalone datalogger

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
My boss has asked me to log the flow rate from a flow transmitter over a 2 week period. We would need to log the data once every hour. I have used data loggers such as paperless recorders but they are kinda pricey and I just need to monitor one 4-20 mA input and be able to store the data. I was just looking at a device called the DaqPro which has 8 inputs but costs about $1,000. Any advice?

It may not be the best solution, but hey, this is a PLC site. A DL05 PLC with a 4-20 mA analog input module will do the job. You need to log data once per hour for two weeks. That's only 336 V memory addresses. When the two week period is done, upload the data from the PLC, clear out the V memory locations, and you're ready for another two weeks.

PLC (D0-05DR) will set you back $99.00
Analog module (F0-04AD-1) is another $79.00
Programming software (PC-PGM-105) is $99.00
Cable (D2-DSCBL) is $30.00
Total cost $307.00

You can also use a Unitronics M91, but I suggest the Vision 120. a little more money, about $500, but includes graphical display, full database, and Real-time Clock functions. Enough memory you can sample and store every 5 minutes if you want, and export directly to excel.

www.unitronics.com