dinamic changes of motor power,amperage

samoil

I have a little project to work.I need to present dinamic changes of AC motor drown: amperage, voltage, and power on the computer screen. How I can acomplish this.I have Rs Logix 500 pro. suite.
I dont have too much experiance in this.Whot hardware devices do I need.

Thanks,

Dan

Samoil, you will need some transducers to measure your line voltage, current, and power and convert those values to a signal your PLC can read. I suggest you take a look at http://www.loadcontrols.com/.

When measuring power at a motor you might be tempted at first to save a few bucks and just get voltage and current transducers and multiply the values together in the PLC for power. However AC power, especailly when inductive loads are involved, is not that simple. A true power transducer that can measure the angle of the phase shift between the current and voltage sine waves (power factor) is required. You may find, depending upon the application, that a true motor load meter is all that is needed. The linked website has more information about this.

I have used transducers from these guys and also from www.ohiosemitronics.com and have had good experiences with the products. Load controls is more targeted to motor measurement applications however.

The next problem is RSLogix 500. Logix 500 is a programming package to create a program for and set up your PLC. It was not intended to function as an HMI application for full time display of runtime data. I may not be fully understanding your question, but it sounds like you need an HMI software package as well.

Once you have the signals in your PLC, if all you are wanting is an inexensive display, take a look at automationdirect.com and look at their operator interface lines. They have several inexpensive models that play very well in the sandbox with AB PLCs.