micrologix 1000 retentive memory faults

fleez28

i have a L16-BWA controller with 3 24v photo eyes and 2 illuminating selector switches inputs, and 2 solenoids and 2 contactors for outputs. everytime i turn the selector switch on to activate the contactors it goes into major fault and loses it's retentive memory. i can't find a short anywhere and the system is grounded properly. the single output i use is supposed to activate 2 contactors and the bulb for the selector switch. when i remove the wires for the contactors the bulb for the switch works fine and so does everything else. but only when the contactors are connected does this issue occur.

if anyone has any info on this i would be extremely thankful

This is caused by surges induced by the contactor coils. You need to place surge suppression across the contactor coils, such as a varistor or R/C network. Check with the manufacturer of the contactors; they may make one that plugs directly onto the contactor(s).

so would i need 2 supressors or just one since i'm only using i output?? and also why can i force them on in the program with no problem

In addition to what mgvol said, install some interposing relays.
To isolated the PLC from the contactors.

Last edited:
so is this fault just preventing damage to the contacts?? and why do i lose my memory everytime and have to redownload the program??

The fault is caused by the fact that the surges from the contactor coils is corrupting the controller memory. It has nothing to do with the output specifically.

ok i see, what's strange also is one of my selector switch lights will only iluminate when my laptop is connected to the the controller