PLC File interchange program

Sleepydc

icon19.gif

Has anyone seen or know the existence of a file interchange program? They are common with picture, video, word processor, drawing, and engineering data files. I’m sure PLC programmers and PLC students alike could use an .rss /.rsl exchange. Any comments?

icon30.gif

From Hugh Jack's books - here is a detailing of an attempt at just such a thing in the early 80's. It ended up in basically a squabble between all the providers. If GM can't force such a thing I doubt that the various providers will provide such a marvelous tool on their own. Prob ably the closest thing is the PDF file. Each system prints out its configuration and some unlucky soul gets to figure out how to translate it into another system.

Last edited:
About the only thing that might come close is if you want to use a program created on one CoDeSys based platform to another CoDeSys based platform.

CoDeSys is an IEC 61131 based package that several manufacturers in Europe use as the base for their programming systems. But even there, each manufacturer has specific libraries that they use with their hardware.

The Schneider/Modicon Concept programming language was designed to be capable of this. Back in the late 90s, at a Concept programming course, the instructor alledged that they had recently completed programming an Allen Bradely PLC using Concept. I didn't hear anything more about that feat since, so maybe it didn't work very well, or maybe the effort required was far in excess of the cost of some AB software, or maybe Schneider just don't get many projects programming ABs.

Even IEC 61131 is too loose a standard to do this type of thing easily with different complient programming packages.