Need a little HELP

Acronym for Deutsches Institut fur Normung. A German standards-setting agency.

A loud, confused, prolonged noise.

Half of a meal for Morris, star of the Nine Lives Cat Food commercials.

A misspelling of the unit of force in the CGS system of units.

I'd like to mount that guy on a rail.

The most common usage you'll find of that acronym is in referring to hardware that first became standardized in Germany.

The "U"-shaped mounting rail used in most controls enclosures, for example, is conventionally called "DIN Rail". I'm sure some of the guys here know the precise D.I.N standard, but in general everybody knows what you're talking about when you use the term.

Another standard is the pin-and-plug standard for things like keyboards or serial ports; the RS-232 port on an A-B MicroLogix controller, for example, is called a "8-pin Mini-DIN".

There are other North American and British National standards that you run into for wiring and mounting and networking, but quite a lot of DIN standards have become the lingua franca of automation and controls worldwide.

Get it ? lingua franca?

Man, sometimes I think I'm the only one who went to Catholic school around here.

Man, sometimes I think I'm the only one who went to Catholic school around here.

You are.

I thought DIN was whar dem dam bears went ta sleep, they call it hiberia nate or some such name.

Wait that aint right, bears use caves or Chicago.
hmmm

I got it, wolves, foxes and other dog/cat like critters have DINS. One of the main critters is them thing called Scouts, fer some reason they use Boy or Girl to describe em. Aint figured that out yet, ifn ya cant tell the difference tween a girl and a boy you got problems. Anyways they be thousands of DINS of them.

Ken said...

Get it ? lingua franca?

Yes, Ken. I get it. I too studied Latin in High School.

As far as Catholic School... I look back fondly on those days...
...Franciscan Nuns attired in full battle-gear... Nuns from Hell!
And Marist Brothers,... Brothers-with-Sticks!

Man... those were the days!

I'll say one thing for the good sisters - they taught the value of concentration and goal oriented thinking. I am actually grateful for the education I got from the dedicated, hard working, tough old nuns. I surely needed the discipline, and out of all the nuns I ran into in 16 years of Catholic education (even college, can you believe it?) I only ran across one psycho mean nasty Attilla the Nun type. Of course, in those days if I screwed up in school the punishment there was nothing compared to what happened when I got home. Times were surely different!

DIN standards (oh yeah - the original question) cover everything from gear teeth and screw threads to controller sizes (1/4 DIN, 1/8 DIN etc.) They were widely used everywhere but the US until the IEC got its act together, and the IEC based a significant part of their standards on the DIN standards. Here in the US in the 70's we would refer to the DIN standards for any product that was going to Europe.

If you quote Latin and invoke Catholic school you are dating your self (he He). Us “youngins “ (not really that young graduated high school in the mid 80’s) were lucky, no rulers across the knuckles and not that many nuns or brothers. Catholic School Lite !!!!!

Trust me Jim - referin' t' Pre-Vatican II schoolin' is the least o' the ways I been dating myself around hyar! I is acshully proud o' it. I figger nobody gits this old by bein' real stupid!

Here in The uk we have two types of DIN rail (the stuff relays and terminals clip onto)
DIN rail is din-rail but occationally somebody buys this stuff that is sorta offset din-rail and can only be used for terminals, and then only for special terminals that only fit on this stuff.

Nothing worse than ordering all the equipment for a new panel and you are about to start, then realise you have been given the wrong din rail.

OK, Goody, Since ya brought it up ........

There is actually four kinds of DIN rail sold here in hte states.

The "normal DIN rail" in the US is DIN 3 that is 35 mm wide, and 7,5 mm tall - it is essentially a "hat" channel

There is also DIN 3 that is 35 mm wide, and 15 mm tall - it is essentially a deeper "hat" channel and more popular in Europe than in the US.

There is DIN 3 that is 15 mm wide, and 5,5 mm tall - it is essentially a little "hat" channel

Finally, there is assymetrical DIN 1 rail that is 32 mm wide and 15 mm tall and looks kind of like an elongated letter "G"