simatic and my pc

sapoleon

Hi to everybody.
This is my new problem. Recently, I have installed step 7 in the computer that i'm working in, and, I get a lot of services running all the time, even when I don't need them.
So, the question is, Is there a way to make those services work only when I'm working with siemens?

Thanks.

That won't help at all for NT/2000/XP/2003 Services.
For the above, go to Control Panel / System / Hardware
Create (copy) a few profiles, and name them things like "Siemens Only", "AB Only", "WonderWare Only", etc.

Next, Go to Start Menu | Run, type 'Services.msc'
Find the service you want to control, double-click it, and select the "Log On" tab. There, you can selectively enable or disable a service based on a hardware profile.

Now, when you start the PC, just select the appropriate hardware profile, to enable specific services.

Good luck.

rdrast said:
Next, Go to Start Menu | Run, type 'Services.msc'
Find the service you want to control, double-click it, and select the "Log On" tab. There, you can selectively enable or disable a service based on a hardware profile.

I have had good luck changing the setting "start up type" to manual

I don't like how the software manufactures try to take over our lives and computers

If I start Siemens S5 first then Logix 500 I don't get a COMM error, but if I go the other way there's a problem (port conflict)...I have a few machines that have both types of PLC's so I need to be able to switch back and forth fast.

Now you know....

sapoleon said:
Hi to everybody.
This is my new problem. Recently, I have installed step 7 in the computer that i'm working in, and, I get a lot of services running all the time, even when I don't need them.
So, the question is, Is there a way to make those services work only when I'm working with siemens?

Thanks.
why I wanted to install the PLC software on a Virtual PC. BTW, don't use Virtual PC with Siemens, use VMWare instead.

I couldn't get the license off with my Virtual PC yet I can't access the controller because Vritual PC doesn't support the USB to MPI adapeter or the PCMCIA adapter. :(

Getlots of memory before using VMWare or Virtual PC.

Once again, thanks to all folks.

I liked the idea of the profiles, it will be handy with the laptop, but not 100%, we work in the firma with a domain, so to make so and be able to connect to the intranet here, is a problem.

It's seems that i'll have to work with vmware.

btw... what version of step7 is discussed? in my old version 5.2 there's only one service (workstation server) run via ms_startup_registry_key

sapoleon said:
Once again, thanks to all folks.

I liked the idea of the profiles, it will be handy with the laptop, but not 100%, we work in the firma with a domain, so to make so and be able to connect to the intranet here, is a problem.

It's seems that i'll have to work with vmware.

Hardware profiles don't interfere at all with domains, as long as you don't disable the networking components in a profile. Sometimes, even that is handy.

hi again,
I coudn't get on line in the last past time...
I tried to make tha hardware profiles (HwP), but the services are still running in all the HwP, or when I put them in manual start, they stay like that in all the HwP.
Any other sugestions? ;)

thanks

sapoleon said:
hi again,
I coudn't get on line in the last past time...
I tried to make tha hardware profiles (HwP), but the services are still running in all the HwP, or when I put them in manual start, they stay like that in all the HwP.
Any other sugestions? ;)

thanks

I got it working... this is pretty cool.

Did it prompt you for a hardware profile before starting Windows?

I think you may be confusing the "Start up type" with the "Status" of the service. I found that even though the service still says "Automatic" for startup type it has not started since the status field is blank.

Here's my list of services that are started automatically by default.

AB
  • RSLinx Classic
Siemens
  • Automation License Manager
  • S7 Global Services
  • SIMATIC IEPG Help Services
Wonderware
  • ArchestrA Logger
  • FS Service Control
  • Wonderware SuiteLink
Did I miss any?