Backing Up Software?

Corbis

Hi all, I have a couple of ??? please.

I purchased a notebook from another company with RSLogix 5/500 included. (No master disk included or available)

Software works great!!!, but I am a worried that if something goes wrong (and probably will someday), I will lose my activation / and use of the software.

I am not trying to get away with anything illegal, but can I just make a backup of the whole harddrive with software such as Norton Ghost for safekeeping without hurting the exiting activation files???

If something does go wrong, can I obtain a new master disk from Allen Bradley for a smaller fee without purchasing all new copies???

Thanks very much in advance.
Corbis

Corbis,

If you did not get a master disk, then AB will consider your license invalid, if not illegal.

AB software

If the RS sofware runs there is activation on the disk. When you purchased the computer the seller was required to remove the software and activation files. If you transfered the software legally you should have a master disk.

If the owner of the laptop was the original, licensed owner of RS Logix, he should be able to tranfer legal ownership to you. If he is not, YOUR ONLY OPTION IS TO BUY A NEW, FULL-BLOWN LEGAL VERSION!!! (Otherwise, you become a party to software piracy! Arggghh!)

Worst case after that would be for you to need to get a contract through A-B for updates, if the version you have is too old to support the hardware you need to program.

But, in any case, the legal owner of the software should be entitled to at least a "reset code" from A-B, if the master disks are no longer around. Call your A-B distributor after you find out who owns the software.

Can't you "ghost" an image copy of your PC for back-up purposes?

If the software is installed and key activated then why is it seen as illegal / piracy if Corbis hasn't duped the key? I thought the key is "leased for the life of the software without duplication", or is it "leased to the person who purchased it"?

Best for him to go to the seller and make all things right in the world--especially if he wants to get supported thru AB with new releases etc.