Backing up random PLCs

Last edited:
@blazini36
You have selected the PC/PPI cable.

I think you need to set it to PC Adapter (MPI), and in the properties set it to either serial or USB.
I am not sure if the knock-off adapter will work natively over USB, or you have to select serial and then specify the COM port which the driver for the adapter emulates.

edit: You do not write the type no of the CPU. "S7-315" can be many things.
It may be a S7 315, old and only has an MPI port. (type no 6ES7 315-1AFxx-xxxx)
It may be a S7 315-2DP has an MPI port and a DP port. (type no 6ES7 315-2AFxx-xxxx, or 6ES7 315-2AGxx-xxxx, or 6ES7 315-2AHxx-xxxx)
In either case you can go online with MPI @187.5kbps.

I do not think it is a S7 315-2PN/DP since it has a combined MPI/DP port and a PN port.
So in that case you wouldnt ask about how to connect via MPI or DP, since it has an integrated ethernet port.

Last edited:
Coming from memory.... S7-214 is not supported on version 2.05, you need at least version 3.2 and if its newest firmware you need V4. There's no license requirement if you manage to install the software.

I might have misspoke on that. The PLC is an S7-200 with CPU 214, is this still the case?

Or Profibus... just depends on the port you are using on the 315, DP is Profibus

I have made a few videos that may help https://www.plccable.com/support-videos-compatibility/

Good videos, thanks. This video explains it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmd_8rl8L-c

In your video you are using "PC Adapter(MPI)" as the PG/PC Interface. Like I said in my post, I don't have this and several others available and that's likely the problem but I don't understand why it's missing. I'm using v5.5 SP3 on XP and my adapter shows up in device manager exactly how yours does.

I found a driver on the Siemens site v2.0. When I try to install it it says I already have v8.2 installed. I'm updating to SP4 now to see if it helps

@blazini36
You have selected the PC/PPI cable.

I think you need to set it to PC Adapter (MPI), and in the properties set it to either serial or USB.
I am not sure if the knock-off adapter will work natively over USB, or you have to select serial and then specify the COM port which the driver for the adapter emulates.

edit: You do not write the type no of the CPU. "S7-315" can be many things.
It may be a S7 315, old and only has an MPI port. (type no 6ES7 315-1AFxx-xxxx)
It may be a S7 315-2DP has an MPI port and a DP port. (type no 6ES7 315-2AFxx-xxxx, or 6ES7 315-2AGxx-xxxx, or 6ES7 315-2AHxx-xxxx)
In either case you can go online with MPI @187.5kbps.

I do not think it is a S7 315-2PN/DP since it has a combined MPI/DP port and a PN port.
So in that case you wouldnt ask about how to connect via MPI or DP, since it has an integrated ethernet port.

I don't know what that means. In My post I said it is an S7-300 with CPU 315-2 DP, I didn't make those numbers up, it's what's printed on the PLC.

I don't see an ethernet port on this PLC but even if it had one I wouldn't bother. I already have the MPI adapter and I have other S7s to deal with so I'll need MPI anyway.

S7-315 use MPI connection not PPI, you should look "PC Adapter(MPI)" on set pg interface.
Like I said in that post, MPI is not available, only PPI. I don't understand why that's the case, this adapter is labeled MPI, PPI, and DP. I'm updating step7 now to see if it resolves that

I figured it out, no idea why it was setup like this by default...

I had to go into "Set PG/PC interface" -> " Interfaces-Add/Remove:", Then select "PC Adapter" -> install.

After that PC Adapter(Auto),(MPI),(PPI),(PROFIBUS) all showed up. Why none of that is "installed" by default is beyond me, none of the tutorials I've seen mention that.

how do I do that? I only see com port in the config for this driver.

Nevermind, I found it. Thanks that seemed to work

Last edited: