Backing up random PLCs

ET200M and S7-214 are what I have at the moment.
ET200M is merely a distributed IO rack, usually connected as slave to a Profibus or Profinet master. ET200M uses the same IO hardware as an S7-300 PLC.
So you would have to find the Profibus master or the Profinet IO Controller.
In any case, to avoid mistakes, post the full part no's.
Maybe the master is an S7-300 or S7-400, for which you need the STEP7 V5 or maybe even Siemens TIA Portal. If S7-300 or S7-400, the PLC will probably be password protected.

The S7-214 is a different animal. It is programmed with Step7 Microwin which has nothing in common with STEP7 V5 or TIA. I personally do not have experience with S7-200 or Step7 Microwin.

ET200M is merely a distributed IO rack, usually connected as slave to a Profibus or Profinet master. ET200M uses the same IO hardware as an S7-300 PLC.
Maybe the master is an S7-300 or S7-400, for which you need the STEP7 V5 or maybe even Siemens TIA Portal. If S7-300 or S7-400, the PLC will probably be password protected.

The S7-214 is a different animal. It is programmed with Step7 Microwin which has nothing in common with STEP7 V5 or TIA. I personally do not have experience with S7-200 or Step7 Microwin.

I have customers with ET200M I/O on Control Logix, so the master could be anything. Others have it on CTI processors. But exactly as you say, ET200M is just an I/O rack. Hopefully its connected to something native like an S7. If not, then he'll need to find the Profibus configuration file too.

I'll have to get back down there to take a look at it, like I said at the moment I just have some pics I took. This PLC is distributed across 3 cabinets, I assumed I was looking at the master with the CPU and the other 2 were remote IO. This does connect to a ELO HMI with running Windows 2000, I grabbed an image of that hard disk

The S7-214 requires different software?....this is why I hate PLCs lol

So I'm online with the Mitsubishi PLC with GX Designer and I ran into the dreaded password lock. The PLC identifies as A2U(S1). I made some calls to the OEM, not sure they'll give me the password. I don't suppose there's any way to get around the program protection on these?

First, if there is a default password, try it. Second, check to see if someone has written the password down inside the control cabinet. Third, try guessing. OEMs that build a lot of identical machines will often use a password that's easy for their field service technicians to remember, perhaps the last 4 digits of their phone number. If the OEM has installed a password and you don't have it and can't get it, the typical workaround is to restore the PLC to its out-of-the-box state, which will erase the user program.
Other than those obvious remedies, this forum frowns on any discussion of PLC password hacks.

I'll play around with it a bit see if I can get in. This thing has a GOT attached, an A9GT-BUSS. Assuming I can get in, how do I get the program off the GOT? It doesn't look like I can connect the SC09 directly.

Anyone know anything about an Allen Bradley PLC-5/80E?

Anyone know anything about an Allen Bradley PLC-5/80E?

You will Need RSLogix5 to connect to the PLC-5.

p/n 9324-RL5300ENE

I think it can still be purchased. Last time I checked it was around ten grand. If you don't already have a license, I am pretty sure you can hire someone who does for a lot less than the expense of purchasing a copy.

$10k holy ****.

I just looked at a VM I used to backup a smaller AB PLC a while back. I have RSLogix500 V8.30.01. I don't remember the details but I know I just used a normal RS232 cable and probably a null modem adapter.

I also just purchased a knockoff 1747-UIC USB cable, mainly for a Panelview.

Can I get in there with this?

$10k holy ****.

I just looked at a VM I used to backup a smaller AB PLC a while back. I have RSLogix500 V8.30.01. I don't remember the details but I know I just used a normal RS232 cable and probably a null modem adapter.

I also just purchased a knockoff 1747-UIC USB cable, mainly for a Panelview.

Can I get in there with this?

RSlogix 500 will not work for a PLC 5/80E. You'll need RSLogix5. If you have any relationship with a Rockwell distributor, you can get a consignment license good for 30 days. ..long enough to extract the program.

PLC5/80E has ethernet.
The serial port may be setup for ASCII mode, and/or be configured for RS422/RS485 instead of RS232. So ethernet may actually be the easiest way.

I'll have to get back down there to take a look at it, like I said at the moment I just have some pics I took. This PLC is distributed across 3 cabinets, I assumed I was looking at the master with the CPU and the other 2 were remote IO. This does connect to a ELO HMI with running Windows 2000, I grabbed an image of that hard disk

The S7-214 requires different software?....this is why I hate PLCs lol

Yes for 214 you will need MicroWIN software(recommend v4 sp9 because it supports 64bit win7) and for communication you need USB to MPI adapter from siemens 6GK1571-0BA00-0AA0. Taking backup its pretty straight forward after that when you have set up the connection.

Last edited:
Yes for 214 you will need MicroWIN software(recommend v4 sp9 because it supports 64bit win7) and for communication you need USB to MPI adapter from siemens 6GK1571-0BA00-0AA0. Taking backup its pretty straight forward after that when you have set up the connection.

I have Microwin v2.05 installed in an XP VM and a knockoff MPI adapter. I haven't really used it yet, not sure if I'm going to bang into some license issue with it.

RSlogix 500 will not work for a PLC 5/80E. You'll need RSLogix5. If you have any relationship with a Rockwell distributor, you can get a consignment license good for 30 days. ..long enough to extract the program.

I called a distributor, they'll have someone get back to me. May just have to subcontract this one out if they're looking for some crazy fee

OK I'm having some issues getting hooked upto an S7-300 CPU 315-2DP in Step7.

This is the adapter I have

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6TW9XCH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I'm running step7 v5.5 sp3 in an XP VM. I passed through the MPI adapter and it's seen fine in Windows XP and Step7 installed the driver for it, I didn't install anything externally.

This is how it shows up:
attachment.php

I've seen some info on the net about connecting with step 7 and they usually have more "interfaces" than what I do. I don't see a "PC(Auto)" like I see in other peoples step7. This is all I really have:

attachment.php

The rest is SIM, TCP and TS stuff. I try to go online and get this:

attachment.php

I'm not familiar with Step7 so no idea what I'm doing wrong here. I'm hooked up to the left port and my adapter has the MPI LED lit and the PLC is switched to stop so I assumed it's properly connected. Anyone got any tips?

2023-10-18_16-18.png 2023-10-18_16-19.png 2023-10-18_16-20.png 2023-10-18_16-29.png

I have Microwin v2.05 installed in an XP VM and a knockoff MPI adapter. I haven't really used it yet, not sure if I'm going to bang into some license issue with it.

Coming from memory.... S7-214 is not supported on version 2.05, you need at least version 3.2 and if its newest firmware you need V4. There's no license requirement if you manage to install the software.

Last edited: