Omron RS232 Communication With Banner BCR Camera

averellen

Hi all.

I have a project with Omron CJ1M-CPU11's where I need to connect 2 barcode readers to each.
I want to use the P4 BCR camera as it works great scanning at long distances.
However I don't know much about Omron other then connecting and working the basic instructions.
Ask me how to do this with AB and a basic module... no problem.
No better time then the present to learn something new.
I figure I need one CJ1W-SCU21 on each CPU.
Anyone have suggestions/samples of RS232 communication using this module.

---Edit---
I also figure I will need to use the CX protocol to communicate with the cameras via RS232.
---Edit---

Also I need to connect these CPU's to the network, then connect to an OPC application (yet to be written). For this I'm guessing I need to install a CJ1W-ETN21.

Am I correct in this thinking?

Any help is always appreciated.

Adam

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume that this P4 bcr camera is an ASCII serial RS-232 camera? If yes, and if the Omron CJ1 can communicate via Ethernet/IP or Modbus TCP, which I believe it can... A product called DeviceMaster UP can sit between these two and facilitate your communications between the two and alleviate the headaches in programming so much more complicated logic.

Feel free to contact me directly for an evaluation unit, or additional details if you might be interested.

Regards,