space requirments for control panel

XtremeIN

Hello all,
AD recomends a 2" clearence between a PLC and other devices/panel walls/doors. I am curious if their is an industry standard for amount of free space required. The panel will have a DL06 PLC, 150 VA step down transformer, two circuit breakers, two AB SMC-3 soft starts, 24 VDC power supply, two Signet Conductivity meters, 40 or so MBK terminal blocks, and various lights and switches mounted in the door.

Thanks for the help,
Micheal

If you read the specifications for devices they will all offer a space requirement, the minimum may be 2 inch but it can be larger depending on device. This requirement is to allow these devices to have cooling air flow around them i.e. if placed against each other the accumulative heat could melt the housing etc.

Of all the things you do this is one you want to follow whether there is a standard or not. Personally I like to allow a little extra space.

There are some IEEE recomendations. I remember being shown a few 20 some years ago. I believe NEC has a few too.

Usually if you follow the mfgrs recommended spacing you will not have a problem. When you pack a cabinet full and do not provide any cooling air flow is when you get into trouble.

rsdoran said:
Most of that info in condensed form can be found here:
http://www.patchn.com/panelbuilding.htm

Excellent article. I was kind of wondering how many others are using a water jet or CNC punch to punch out operator panels?

Just make a cad drawing and send it with the lid to the machine shop and you have a PERFECTLY punched out panel an hour later.

allscott said:
Excellent article. I was kind of wondering how many others are using a water jet or CNC punch to punch out operator panels?

Just make a cad drawing and send it with the lid to the machine shop and you have a PERFECTLY punched out panel an hour later.

Can we get some rough costs on this?

I don't know the cost off the top of my head, but I know its cheaper for us to send our stuff to be laser cut than it is for us to punch it in house.

Pierre said:
Can we get some rough costs on this?

The last one I did was about a 30" x 36" stainless lid, had about 20 30.5mm pushbuttons and a panelview 600, as I recall the cost was about $150. cdn (about $120 U.S)

I should also note that I have used both CNC punches and waterjetting. The waterjet seemed to make a nicer job but it may just be the particular CNC punch that the machine shop had.

Never tried a laser.

Last edited:
allscott said:
The last one I did was about a 30" x 36" lid, had about 20 30.5mm pushbuttons and a panelview 600, as I recall the cost was about $150. cdn (about $120 U.S)

I should also note that I have used both CNC punches and waterjetting. The waterjet seemed to make a nicer job but it may just be the particular CNC punch that the machine shop had.

Never tried a laser.

Less then 2 hours worth of work. Our CNC shop bills out @ 75/hour. Locals range from 50-120 per hour. If you have the capability to draw it & drive it, it's the only way to fly.

We use a local laser shop. For all I know, its probably the same shop CroCop uses. The laser burns about 1/32" of paint, but this has never been a problem. The laser shop does enough panels that they have pre-canned CNC routines for buttons with the anti-rotation notches as well as for most common cutouts.