S7/TIA v18: Status Message "Insufficient memory space on the memory card"......

Mas01

S7/TIA v18: Status Message "Insufficient memory space on the memory card"......

Hi, Please can anyone help me with this?

I've been trying to figure out for a long time why a DataLog was not being created, when the code looked OK to me (looks OK right?...see pic of DataLogCreate).

Then I ran a trace & the ERROR flag is set.
Then the STATUS code is set to 80B3 Hex, which means "Insufficient memory space on the memory card" (see other pictures attached).

The thing is, there is no memory card in the slot & previously when the Datalog CSV file was created, it must have been stored in the PLC's internal memory.

Is there a way to clear the memory, so that the DataLogCreate works properly?

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Many thanks in advance.

DataLogCreate block.png Trace 1.png Trace 2.png Trace 3.png

Last edited:
I do not know S7-1200, and also not how the integral load memory compares to a flash card on S7-1200. So this is just a stab at doing something.

Go to Online acess .. (your LAN card) .. update accessible devices
The S7-1200 CPU should appear.
Browse to 'Online card data'.
Is there a function to browse the logfiles and/or delete them ?

I do not know S7-1200, and also not how the integral load memory compares to a flash card on S7-1200. So this is just a stab at doing something.

Go to Online acess .. (your LAN card) .. update accessible devices
The S7-1200 CPU should appear.
Browse to 'Online card data'.
Is there a function to browse the logfiles and/or delete them ?

Thanks for trying to help.

I'm more confused than ever because there appears to be plenty of memory space [?] - see pic.

...or is this memory shown in the pic below different to the PLC's integral memory used for storing data logs?

online access - memory.png

Instead of being online with the CPU and going by the diagnostics, try what I described above - just to see if it makes any difference.

Maybe the DataLogCreate tries to write to a memory card that is not there. I am confused by that I cannot find anything about where to specify where the logfile is. You can only specify a name, which is then created in the folder \DataLogs

Apart from that, you can try a memory reset and see how it helps.
If you were using a memory card, you could remove it and reset it in a regular card reader - i.e. delete the files and folders, not formatting the card.

Instead of being online with the CPU and going by the diagnostics, try what I described above - just to see if it makes any difference.

Maybe the DataLogCreate tries to write to a memory card that is not there. I am confused by that I cannot find anything about where to specify where the logfile is. You can only specify a name, which is then created in the folder \DataLogs

Apart from that, you can try a memory reset and see how it helps.
If you were using a memory card, you could remove it and reset it in a regular card reader - i.e. delete the files and folders, not formatting the card.
My limited experience, means I have to apologise - I don't quite understand how to follow your instructions. :(

Regarding the memory reset, I watched a video and the guy said it would delete my program, and I don't want to lose the code.

Last edited:
Just a thought: Will the PLC lose its IP setting?

Pressing MRES is making me nervous, like I will regret it or something like that.:(
I actually do not know that. Possibly the program will not be cleared. Only the DBs will be reset to the initial values.

I am thinking now that to clear the memory completely you will have to use the 'reset to factory settings' with TIA.
With S7-1500 I take the memory card, copy its contents with a card reader to a backup folder, and delete all the files and folders on the card. That effectively clears the program, and I can load it anew.
But the S7-1200 is somewhat different.

If you manage to clear the memory of the S7-1200, and it also clears the IP address, then you have to load the hardware configuration like it was a new PLC. That is not difficult. Just use the 'reachable nodes' when loading the first time.

I actually do not know that. Possibly the program will not be cleared. Only the DBs will be reset to the initial values.

I am thinking now that to clear the memory completely you will have to use the 'reset to factory settings' with TIA.
With S7-1500 I take the memory card, copy its contents with a card reader to a backup folder, and delete all the files and folders on the card. That effectively clears the program, and I can load it anew.
But the S7-1200 is somewhat different.

If you manage to clear the memory of the S7-1200, and it also clears the IP address, then you have to load the hardware configuration like it was a new PLC. That is not difficult. Just use the 'reachable nodes' when loading the first time.
Thank you for taking the time to help me @JesperMP, much appreciated.

The other suggestion was this one.
I am puzzled if there is no way to view the files and no way to clear them other than doing the reset to factory settings.
I cannot test it myself. Would be interesting to see what this 'online card data' does.

TIA_online_card_data.png

I am puzzled if there is no way to view the files and no way to clear them other than doing the reset to factory settings.
I cannot test it myself. Would be interesting to see what this 'online card data' does.

Ok mate, I'll try that first thing tomorrow.
Cheers again.

If you enable the web server in the 1200 PLC then you can see the datalog(s) that has been created, delete it, download it etc.
To delete The datalog it has to be closed first though.

datalog.png

Last edited:
If you enable the web server in the 1200 PLC then you can see the datalog(s) that has been created, delete it, download it etc.
To delete The datalog it has to be closed first though.

Yes thanks, I knew about that, but in my case there's no files showing (for some reason) - see pic.

no entries currently available.png

My "tree" is a bit different to your picture. See pic.

I'm guessing that as I have no card installed, the option (for me) is "Add user-defined card reader".

online access - tree.png