HSCE Wiring Help

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Again

Last week I post a topic on hi speed counter advice. Thanks to all who answered. I have decided to us allen bradleys hsce module, although I have never installed or programmed one.

I am sure I will have a few questions over the next week. All that i am trying to do is count pulses from a photo-eye, that I am hoping to wire pnp.

In the manual for single ended wiring (Discrete Devices) it shows sourcing prox sensors wired to the "A" Channel, Solid State Switches wired to the "B" Channel and Sinking photo-eyes wired to the "Z" Channel. The question I have is (Although probably a beginner one) Can I wire a sourcing photoeye to Channel "A" or do photoeye have to be npn and wired to "Z"

Those are all just representations of possible types of connections. You can wire any of them into Channel A. The physical circuit configuration for the A, B and Z channels are identical.

When you go to program this thing I suggest you enter the sample configuration program EXACTLY as shown in the manual. Feel free to change addresses and file numbers as needed to fit your program. But follow the form of the example very closely. Once you get the configuration stuff to work the module will work very well. But that first step of getting the configuration down can be a bit challenging.

Keith

if you are refering to page 3-14 of 1746-HSCE manual, this was purposely drawn this way to show different wiring methods. A, B or Z, all channel are wired the same. Just pick one maching what you have and put same circuit on all three channels.

the only limitation is that inputs are really meant to be powered by 5V. if you use higher voltage, it is required to add external resistors to protect the optocouplers (they even give the values in the manual).

if you look closer you will see that channels A and B are actually wired the same. the only difference is that sensor connected to channel A has 24V output (additional current limiting resistor is needed) while device wired to channel B is also powered by 24V but the output is only 5V so no need for that external resistor.

circuit on channel Z is a bit trickier. since NPN sensor in this example is open collector, load is added externally in form of R2 resistor. so when this sensor is off, Z channel will have the signal (HSCE internal circuitry will be powered through R2 from +24V). when sensor's output is active it will short the Z channel. this will slightly increase current through R2 but that's ok.

if you are still not clear on this, get few LEDs and resistors
and see what it takes to make LEDs work on different voltages.
same thing is on input side of the optocupler....

Thanks again everyone

I have already picked up the module, i went with the ab one because in canada it is actually cheaper, spectrum was $910 canadian, and the ab was $720 canadian.

I have set up the setup and control word as 0100111010001000 and i have set up the program exactly as the example in the manual except i am not using the 2 rungs that turn on and off bits based on accumulated counts.

I thing i have everything covered and i will be installing on Tuesday, so i will post how it went after that.

I am only using one photo eye which I will be wiring pnp to channel "A". I assume that I just leave the other 2 channels empty.

well, it depends on what your task is but if this is
measuring position i would strongly suggest to better think
twice and use channel B as well. if you use both channels
correctly (have quadrature) you will not have to worry
about things like false counts when reversing or oscillating
around same position.