1747-PIC RSLinx error message

thekoolguy

I get an error message while trying to communicate with a 5/02,using a 1747 PIC from my laptop using RSLinx.I am using a USB to serial interface, to the PIC.
The error message is:
Cannot communicate using RSLinx as a service.Use normal program for communication.
What is this error message and how can I correct it.
Thanks

I just had the same thing with the old serial PIC. You have to go to the start menu for RSLinx and pick the RSLinx Launch Control Panel. Then unchek always run as a service. Apprarently, the DH-485 driver doesn't like it when RSLinx is running as a service??

Sometimes.... (but just sometimes) I miss DOS and programs that were "self contained".:p

I finally got the Quatech card and was able to communicate with the 5/02 using the PIC.I bought the card from B&B Electronics.There is a Knowledge Base fix on the Rockwell Website for the problem of "Running as a Service" problem with the PIC.It is associated with RSLinx Version 2.31.00.

Cause:
The PIC driver can not be configured when RSLinx is running as a service. RSLinx 2.31 installs itself to run as a service by default.

Solution:
Stop the RSLinx service, then configure the driver.

1. Click Start->Programs->Rockwell Software->RSLinx->RSLinx Launch Control Panel. See the dialog below.
2. If Always Run As Service is greyed out, click Stop.
3. Uncheck Always Run As Service.
4. Click Start to start RSLinx as an application, OR
5. Click X to close the window and start RSLinx from the START menu.
6. Create the PIC driver.

I hope this will help others if they have the same problem.
Thanks again for your help.

CurlyandShemp I have the Quatech PCMCIA card the and the 1747 but am still having problems. Getting error SwapDriverIN()Failed to Swap in the new PIC Driver Try Restarting RSLinx. Any ideas?

thekoolguy said:
Here is the information

Application Note Technote: Configuring the Windows 2000/ PIC ...
SwapDriverIn() Failed to Swap in the new PIC Driver. Try Restarting RSLinx.
domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/D55ABD27967B45CE8...

http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/D55ABD27967B45CE85256AFB005D52C3?OpenDocument

HMMM? This says you can't but you did?
PCMCIA.jpg

Yes Mickey,
I was able to use the Quatech card and the PIC together.I used Com 7 as the serial port and it worked fine.The Rockwell site warns that older PIC's may not work in this manner(what ever that means).I am using Windows XP,RSLinx 2.31 and RSLogix 500 5.20.00
Regards,
thekoolguy

1747 PIC driver comes up stopped in Windows 2000 or Windows XP; May receive "Failed to swap" error message. RSLinx revisions 2.31 and greater.RSLinx is unable to add or start a new PIC device driver

Question
1747 PIC driver comes up stopped in Windows 2000 or Windows XP; May receive "Failed to swap" error message. RSLinx revisions 2.31 and greater

Answer

Problem: RSLinx is unable to add or start a new PIC device driver
Cause: Unclear at this time. It seems as though RSLinx is unable to access Windows device driver information for the selected COM port.
Verify: Delete any RSLinx driver using a COM port. Shut down and restart RSLinx. Attempt to add a new 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. See if the driver gets added but comes up with a status of STOPPED without any other error OR you may receive a "Failed to swap" error message.
Cure: Go to Windows Device Manager by right mouse clicking on My Computer and choosing "Manage". Select "Device Manger" in the left-hand pane of the Window. Now, in the Right-hand pane of the Window, expand "Ports (COM & LPT)". Right mouse click on the port you wish to use for the PIC driver and choose "Uninstall".
Reboot the PC and let Windows automatically reinstall it. When this is done, you should be able to go in to RSLinx and configure the PIC driver successfully.
Prevention: No known way of preventing this problem at this time.
Catalog Number: 9355WAB
DocFullNum: P53754052
Revision:2.31.00;2.40.01;2.41
Fixed in Revision:
Package:
Modual:

I'm about to get this Quatech card and I remember to have red in a forum that with RSLinx 2.5 this problem is fixed! But I can't find that info again, I'll keep searching. What do you know about this?

Alway run as service

On the Launch Control Panel,Has anyone ever had the Always run as service box greyed out even when RSLinx is not running as service or application?