S7 simulator ?

PLCKeef

Hi all
Using Step 7 lite here in the classroom with some new 313C plcs. It is going quite well.

The students want to run programs at home , are there any free S7 PLC simulators ?

Talk to your local Siemens rep. Given that they are students, they can offer HUGE discouts on software. The Step7 Lite is inexpensive compared to the Professional version.

The Step7 Lite is inexpensive compared to the Professional version.
If I ever saw an understatement, it's this one! I've got my (completely legitimate) copy of Step7 Lite for free. Just check this link. You do have to register, but that too is completely free of charge.

Kind regards,

Thanks , guys , I have put them onto the free version , but does it have a simulator for them to test programs ? I don't think it has ???

I'll have a look at he VIPA stuff, I downloaded a demo of their but had trouble converting the file to one that could be opened by step7 lite.

Step 7 Lite won't have the simulator. Check if you can "save as" from either vipa or step 7 lite in some other common format

PLCKeef said:
I'll have a look at he VIPA stuff, I downloaded a demo of their but had trouble converting the file to one that could be opened by step7 lite.

This is true, I have also encountered these problems. I only tried it with LAD. What you can try is converting it to STL and 'copy&paste'. I did not try this yet but it should work. Anyway, the VIPA-software is straight foreward, it should not be difficult to learn, just like STEP7-lite...it has the same instructions...and it has a build-in S7-simulator.

consys said:
Step 7 Lite won't have the simulator. Check if you can "save as" from either vipa or step 7 lite in some other common format

It has some common format, '*.awl' or something like it, but it does not convert every time correct and then I was only using very basic programming techniques in small programs like ON-OFF with counter and delay. But now VIPA has a newer version, maybe this converts better...

I have to check out the Vipa demo I have installed int he room somewhere.
Is it a free version , what are the limitations ?
I think it was something like 10 lines or 10 segments max ?
Can you go online with it ?

Yes, it's a free demo-version. If I remember this correct the only limitation is that you can not go online. I can not remember a limitation with the number of segments. I can check this out later but now I do not have the software on this pc.

I just tried out the Vipa-demo-software: max 20 segments per block, but you can make 'as many blocks' (I did not have time to test the max. number of blocks) as you can (e.g. FC-FB) and use again max. 20 segments in each block.