SLC 5/05 to DH+ Panelview

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer that purchased a piece of machinery that was to be controlled by a SLC 5/04 and a standard PanelView 1000 on DH+. Now he wants to changed the 5/04 to a 5/05 but doesn't want to pay the price for an ethernet PanelView.

I was about to tell him that it's not possible (or at least not worth while) for the 5/05 and the DH+ PanelView to communicate. I thought I'd check here before telling someone no and then me be proved wrong.

I suppose someone makes some outrageously priced converter to make this happen, but I don't really know. Maybe the customer knows something that I don't.

Is there any way in he11 to make the two communicate?

dmroeder said:
I have a customer that purchased a piece of machinery that was to be controlled by a SLC 5/04 and a standard PanelView 1000 on DH+. Now he wants to changed the 5/04 to a 5/05 but doesn't want to pay the price for an ethernet PanelView.

I was about to tell him that it's not possible (or at least not worth while) for the 5/05 and the DH+ PanelView to communicate. I thought I'd check here before telling someone no and then me be proved wrong.

I suppose someone makes some outrageously priced converter to make this happen, but I don't really know. Maybe the customer knows something that I don't.

Is there any way in he11 to make the two communicate?

Without buying something, I would say no.

http://www.protocolconverter.com/products/dl3000-eni.html

http://www.****************.com/

I would rather supply a PV1000+ with ethernet than buy a protocol converter.

Ian

I would rather use the Ethernet panelview, but it's not up to me. Unfortunately, I have to make it work.

I just want to sound like I know what I'm talking about when he asks if there is a way to make it work!

dmroeder said:
I would rather use the Ethernet panelview, but it's not up to me. Unfortunately, I have to make it work.

I just want to sound like I know what I'm talking about when he asks if there is a way to make it work!

If it was the other way around SLC 5/04 and the DH+ PV was swapped out with a PV1000+ on ethernet, a 1761 NET-ENI would be required.

Either way you look at it hardware must be purchased. I tend not to use third party protocol converters as most local Rockwell reps do not stock them.

Ian

I guess the majority of his plant is on DH+, but they are slowly moving to Ethernet. They decided that they want all new machinery on Ethernet way too late in the project.

This may be another alternative

Stick with the 5/04 and Panelview DH+ but also stick a small G3 on the Other com port of the 5/04 (either df1 or dh485).

The G3 has an five ports plus option cards including as standard ethernet this may be able to be used for what the customer wants from the ethernet.

dmroeder said:
I guess the majority of his plant is on DH+, but they are slowly moving to Ethernet. They decided that they want all new machinery on Ethernet way too late in the project.

If thats the reason, then best to use a Contrologix rack as a gateway with a 1756-ENBT and 1756-DHRIO.

Ian

curlyandshemp,

That crossed my mind too because we have that setup on our test rack, but I assume that because money is the issue, that they wouldn't go that route.

I think I'm going to suggest a Net-ENI and that they keep the 5/04. Seems kind of ridiculous to me to try to make something like that work.