SLC 504 timer problem

jmays

Hey everyone,
I need help with making a high speed timer in a SLC 504.
The SLC timer has a time base max of .01 sec. and I need a way to make a time base of .001 like the mircologix 1500.
The application is glue bead placement on small flaps. I'm using a Photoeye to detect the case leading edge, using the TIMER for a start delay, glue is then applied until the case flap passes the photoeye and stops the glue.
With the timer set at 3/100 sec. the glue starts too soon. When set at 4/100 sec. the glue starts too late.
I'm using IIM and IOM's just prior to the photoeye input and the solenoid output and still having no success.
Any suggestions out there?
Thanks in advance!
John

jmays said:
Any suggestions out there?

Upgrade to a CLX or swap out for a 1500.

The low order byte of word 0 of the timer contains a rolling time stamp. This time stamp has a range of 0 to 256 counts (thats also why a timer instruction must be scaned at least once very 2.56 seconds). The time stamp comes from a system time reference with a .01 second time base. Sorry, thats as good as it gets.

There might be something you can do with external timers and certain specialty modules or an encoder input to determine when to start/stop the glue instead of a timer, but the SLC is an old dog.

Why not just use an STI subroutine? You can set the interrupt time down to 1ms (depending on the cpu). It's more accurate than a timer anyway.

OG