Serial communication with PLC5/40B

sheppawc

Problem communicating with PLC-5/40B. RSLinx Auto detected the PLC during processor boot-up, but then a red X was placed over the PLC-5/40B icon in RSWho. I used this cable configuration:

9-PIN Female 25-PIN Male

3-------------------------------------3

2-------------------------------------2

7-----┐ ┌---4

8-----┘ └---5

6-----┐ ┌---20

1-----│ │---6

4-----┘ └---8

5-------------------------------------7

I am trying to communicate with the following DF1 Driver parameters:

Baud = 2400

Parity = None

Stop Bits =1

Device = PLC-CH0

Station = 00

Error Checking = BCC

Protocol = Full Duplex

The DIP SW on the processor is set to RS232C

My serial port on PC is working!

Is this the correct configuration? If anyone could help, it would be great! Thanks.

Have you tried Auto Configure

1784-CP10.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I did and it detected it only if I reboot the PLC processor at about the same time as I click the auto config button. The yellow Comm LED on the processor blinks on & off a few times and the the red X in RSWho goes away for a few seconds and then re-appears. I have checked the cable configuration several times and have even tried different configurations with no luck. I have also tried different dip switch settings on the processor for the rs232c.

Also if the channel is configured for something other then point to point then? RSLinx driver may have to be changed

ChannelPara.jpg

I just bought this processor on ebay and have never connected to it and have not created any files yet. I don't even see the PLC-5 listed in RSLogix to create a new offline document.

Well then you can power down and pull the battery. This will return processor to its default settings.

Default Settings:
Default.jpg

What RSLogix software do you have? You need RSlogix5

Last edited:
I had the battery out all last night with the power off, so it should be back to factory default. I have RSLogix 500 & 5000. I think I need to update the processor type: list because I can not find my processor type list in eather versions of RSLogix. I need to choose a processor before I can creat a new doc. Thank you for your help.

Yes as stated above you need RSLogix5. For the PLC5 family. But RSLinx should have made the connection.

As Mickey said, you must have RSlogix5.

RSlogix500 and 5000 will not program it.

But you can to RSlinx test:
Pull the battery, do autoconfiguration.
If RSlinx failed, then pack it and send back.

If you got it just to play, then return and get SLC instead.
At least you have software for it already.
PLC5s are expensive, even on ebay.
If you got one cheaper than SLC, then it is probably bad.