Incorrect serial communication

Acmesereno

I have a zebra barcode scanner connected to a ******* device master UP. They are connected by RS232. By checking the serial logs on the device master, I see a few characters of the barcode come through but not all of it. The number of characters recieved is random but generally 2-4. There are no frame errors in the communication statistics.

What trouble shooting should I perform to find out why this is happening?

Zebra DS3678-ER
******* DeviceMaster UP 1-port

It sounds like the device master is timing out before receiving a full complement of characters from the barcode scanner. Check the settings and look for a 'timeout' parameter and increase it. Better yet look for a 'delimiter' parameter and set that to match what the barcode scanner sends to indicate the end of the barcode, typically a CR/LF, ASCII 13 followed by ASCII 10.
It could also be that the device master's character buffer isn't large enough to hold the entire barcode, but 4 characters would be an awfully small buffer. But maybe, instead of holding the last x characters, the buffer empties when it's full and you're only getting the characters received after flushing the buffer.

Last edited:
try this:
Zebra-DS3678-er-step-1.png