HMI question

PLCUSER

P
Hello everyone!
I would like to start learning HMI. I need some advice how to start? What equipment and/or software I need? Any simulators?

Thanks,

PLCUSER

Hi,

I would say that the answer kind of depends on your situation.

First of all, regardless of your situation, you will need, at minimum, the following equipment: A PLC, an HMI, a cable between the two, programming software for each, cables to program each, and a PC on which to do the programming.

If you are planning to do this completely on your own (at home?) you will probably want to go for the least expensive equipment you can find (eBay?). Automation Direct, I hear, is also a good place to start.

On the other hand, if you are doing this through an employer, you might want to target buying similar brands and models to those already in the company. Find out what they could use for spare parts (if they don't already have some) and approach it that way. Any time you can show the boss that your initial purchase could be an asset to him TODAY, you are far more likely to get him to agree with your recommendations.

As far as whose is better than whose or what would be the best one to start with......I don't have a good answer. I have used 6 or 7 different ones over the years and each have their good and bad points. I find that what you learn from one is usually helpful for working with the next. From my viewpoint, any brand you pick will be a good choice in the long run. The real education is in learning to "Be The PLC" (to borrow a phrase) or in this case, like the HMI.

Steve