Does this look like a PLC 2/30 program?

puravdagli

Hi,

I am working on a project to upgrade an exisiting PLC 2/30 system to a ControlLogix system. I have been given some files for the existing program by the customer. These files have extensions that I have never seen before.

.an2
.dbf
.dbt
.LOB
.PLC
.XD2
.xi2

Can anybody help me here? Also, I would like to know if any of the existing RSLogix software will open these files for me. If not, do you have the software that will and can you please print them to .doc or .pdf for me?

Any help is appreciated.

But do you ~really~ want to convert this??

There are lots of things in PLC2 that won't convert nicely at all to CLX. Timers and oneshots are just a couple of examples. Plus the general program structure has changed. Yes, you can just do a conversion, but......

Lots of times when making this kind of migration, it makes a lot of sense to actually start over and rewrite the program. It gives you a chance to fix things that have never been quite right and to add functionality that has been desired. And it gives you an excuse to clean up code for stuff that's no longer there or isn't needed any more.

Those file extensions are not for AI-2 or 6200-PLC2 software.

Might they be from Taylor/UPDOC software for the PLC-2 ?

OZEE, yes i ~realy~ want to convert this but manually. I plan to enter each rung and instruction myself but I need this program as a reference. This is the only copy I have. There is no sequence of operation of any kind....I have to figure that out from the program.

IIRC, the .LOB extension was used by Teledenken, at least on their PLC-3 software. I also don't think they're called Teledenken anymore.
>
>

I think too that the ".dbf" is/was readable in Dbase IV. It might work to try to import it into Excel or Access to get a readable form. If there's any documentation at all, you'd at least be able to have names for the addresses.

Last edited:
puravdagli said:
OZEE, yes i ~realy~ want to convert this but manually. I plan to enter each rung and instruction myself but I need this program as a reference. This is the only copy I have. There is no sequence of operation of any kind....I have to figure that out from the program.

No, I meant do you want to convert it as-is, rung-for-rung ... or do you want to rewrite it?

I was hoping to imply that converting it rung-for-rung, instruction-for-instruction is often more work than just rewriting it. Plus there are tons of other benefits of rewriting it compared to converting it. Even if there's not a sequence of operations, it might be time to look at the operation with people who know and develop one and to implement the system that they really want...

It is absolutely time to be looking at replacing PLC2's -- trust me, I have probably 30-50 of them company wide that I've started replacing.

If you open the .PLC file with notepad, at the end you will see the word TOPDOC.
That's the name of the package you're looking for.

As DougP suggested, I think that was a Teledenken brand.