External PCMCIA and PCMK Card

fredbear

Has anyone tried using a PCMK card on a laptop with a external USB-PCMCIA slot? Many laptops are beginning to phase out the traditional PC card slot in favour of the new PCExpress slot.

Well, clearly the PCMK card will not work in a PCExpress slot. Soon, you won't be able to buy a laptop with a PCMCIA slot, much as it is now difficult to find a laptop with a serial port. Fortunately, there is a solution to the serial port thing: The Keyspan USA-19HS. The question I am asking is if there exists a solution to the PCMCIA thing? Possibly the Quatech USB-PCMCIA adapter? Because if not, in a year or two, when your old laptop dies and you need to upgrade, you will no longer be able to connect to a SLC5/04 or PLC5 via DH+. This may be a problem for some.

Our company just purchased over 1000 Dell Latitude D620's. All with Serial Port, and PCMCIA port. Dual core, up to date. So yeah, companies are phasing out these ports to general users, but not to corporations. There are WAYYYYY tooo may serial systems out there that depend on HARDWARE serial ports.
You need to build your laptops now, from a corporate standpoint.
If you go to companies like Futureshop,Bestbuy MDG, then you don't have much of a standing in what you as an end user needs for industry.

According to that link, the product is still under test. A few months ago I got a beautiful new M90 Dell laptop.. I was shocked to learn it didn't have the PCMIA card slot. I am now trading with someone in the company who has a new laptop that has less performance but has both old and new style slots.

I beta tested the adapter from Duel Systems and it didn't work at all for the pcmk card, the manufacturer said that it was a hardware issue that is unique to AB. It did work well for every other pcmcia card that I tested

Just for everyones info Dell latitudes still come with standard PCMCIA slots and Express slots are optional. They even still have 9-pin serial ports, a bonus, although I have never had any trouble with USB-Serial cables on any applications I have tried. Jbrazington, with the Duel Adapter issue, the Duel techs told me it was a problem with my Dell Vostro signified by the error code 21 I was getting.

Last edited:
To many conections.... I sell the Keyspan and its very nice, but I only use it when I need to (I also have another model cheaper and more industrial and has Windows 7 drivers)

But when you start going from USB to adapter then to PCMIA then to the cable or device.... way to many conections for me, its asking for something to fail

You can sell you PCMK (to me :) ) then add some more money and buy a 1784-U2DHP this is the USB to Data Highway Plus they work very good, someday I hope to come out with something like it ;)

To many conections.... I sell the Keyspan and its very nice, but I only use it when I need to (I also have another model cheaper and more industrial and has Windows 7 drivers)

But when you start going from USB to adapter then to PCMIA then to the cable or device.... way to many conections for me, its asking for something to fail

You can sell you PCMK (to me :) ) then add some more money and buy a 1784-U2DHP this is the USB to Data Highway Plus they work very good, someday I hope to come out with something like it ;)

I've got about 10 pmkias, you interested? Will go to the grave with my pcmk's...

There's other threads on this topic somewhere, but I think no one has found a USB to PCMCIA adapter that works with the RA comm. cards.