IP Addressing and RSLinx

Tim Ledwith

I was setting up Ethernet communications at a Customer site recently in preperation for going online to a 1761-NET-ENI module.

The IP Address I was given was 10.29.123.065, but when I entered this into the Ethernet Devices setup (AB_ETH-1) in RS Linx I ended up being connected to the PLC at IP Address 10.29.123.53. When I entered the IP address as 10.29.123.65 (minus the leading zero in the last number) I connected to the ENI module.

I'm assuming this is some kind of Octal/Decimal thing (65o = 53d) because when I experimented with some other numbers, the same thing happened.

I'm using RSLinx Gateway verson 2.43.01.23 (CPR6).

Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them ?

Thanks, Tim.

In every program 0 before IP means Octal - Windows works like this, Linx and Logix work like this

But for some stupid reason NET-ENI does not, they display this 0s while it is still in decimal format.
You actually entered 010.029.123.065 in NET-ENI

Last edited: