CompactLogix vs. ControlLogix

Bbrady

I am quoting a press line that has robots. We are quoting the press controls that will interlock to the robots, safety gates. They would like us to quote compactlogix because the other company did but we feel like controllogix is a better answer.

Is compactlogix suitable or is limited for future? Just looking for opinions or experiences.

Bbrady said:
I am quoting a press line that has robots. We are quoting the press controls that will interlock to the robots, safety gates. They would like us to quote compactlogix because the other company did but we feel like controllogix is a better answer.

Is compactlogix suitable or is limited for future? Just looking for opinions or experiences.

If the unit is a standalone then Compactlogix may be the best soultion, use the L35E. But, if there is multiple networks, D-NET, C-NET, E-NET, DH+ then Contrologix is the best solution.
Any SERCOS on this app ?

Ian

Not at this point I believe any motion control will be handled by the OEM robot. But to have the imbedded SERCOS is not a bad thing. I just can't push it if I do not see any immediate or possible future use of it. I might be missing or not thinking about it right, but short of robots in this press app. I do not forsee any other needs for motion control. Can you?

I would recommend that the machine be stand-alone.

Obviously, if something strange happens, it can still function to some extent!

The case is simple, put all your eggs in one-basket. And then wait for the blue screen of death to shut down the whole plant.

Call in the resident genius, stand over him, let him sweat, tell him 380 people are standing around while he is sitting there scratching his right ear, goofing off!

Safety lock outs through ethernet?

Sorry, that's another rant!!!