Current Input or Voltage Input

Chuck

I have a question on current inputs and voltage inputs. I have read that current inputs are less sensitive to electrical noise than voltage inputs.
I believe that current inputs are safer than voltage inputs at low voltage because of electrical noise.
I believe a voltage input can make false contact. Can you provide any insight.

Last edited:
Yep you are right, current inputs are less prone to noise, as it relies on a constant current converted into a voltage any small spikes will have very little effect, it's ohms law.
if you pass 0.5A through a resistor of say 100 ohms the voltage drop will be constant regardless of the supply voltage.

Chuck said:
I have a question on current inputs and voltage inputs. I have read that current inputs are less sensitive to electrical noise than voltage inputs.
I believe that current inputs are safer than voltage inputs at low voltage because of electrical noise.
I believe a voltage input can make false contact. Can you provide any insight.
Electrical 'noise' can be considered as a high impedance voltage source.
An instrument current loop is a comparatively low impedance circuit, wheras a voltage loop is a high impedance circuit.
Apply Thevenin's theorem to assess the difference.