Autosave past runs as Excel spreadsheets

RyanG

I have a client that would like to view the current run of a process using RSLinx & Excel... For that, I plan to use DDE.

They would also like to have access to the past 20 runs of the process. That is where I may need some help.

My thought is that I might be able to autosave the current run as the most recent past run once it finishes or the next process starts... and the past 20 runs will get bumped down one, deleting the oldest saved run.

I'll probably have to use VB for this, I'm aware, but is there an easy way to do it? I'm not saying VB isn't easy... I'm just a little rusty with it, and it seems every VB example I find has a bunch of stuff I don't know how to alter to fit my application.

If anyone has done something similar (It doesn't sound too unique), please give me some feedback. Thanks!

Hi:

I've done this in the past with a package called XLReporter, you can try it free from www.sytech.com it runs for two hours and after that you have to reset the PC, but try it if you want it, may be it is the solution you're looking for.
You have to use Rslinx as an OPC server in order to comunicate excel with the plc, the same software can be used to connect several plc's at the same time.

This is so easy.

Don't you go and pay for this. While you do it you will at least learn something.

Use VBA.

Here is some hint. This part when a button is clicked will save the file with Excel date format in its name.
-----------------------------------------
Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()

'Saving the file on clicking a button with names and dates for archives

Dim filename As String
Dim filepath As String
Dim strdate As String
Dim strtime As String
Dim fileID As String

strdate = Format(Date, "dd-mm-yyyy")
strtime = Format(Time, "hh.mm")
filename = ("")
filepath = "c:\AAA\"
fileID = Range("OPC!C3").Value

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs filename:=filepath + filename + "Station no." + fileID + " " + strdate + " Time was " + strtime + ".xls"
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

-----------------------------------

Result is a file named like ... Station no.47 27-03-2007 Time was 22.25.xls

This should start you in the good direction.👨🏻‍🏫