SLC 500 new challenge

n8dc

We just aquired a used acme gridley screw machine here at our plant and it has an slc 500 in it it has a resolver 154112 in the first slot next to the porocessor and 4 1746-Ia16 and 3 1746-Oa16 cards following .. I do not see the acutal resolver number in the I/O config chart but the I/O cards are there. The number it gives is 1500 series but it has 153x or a 1561.. Which one should i use while playing around with rslogix 500 and also what the heck does the resolver card do? I really cant find any good info on the A/B site and it diesnt like that card number when i search.. I just learned A/B programming last november and that was for micrologix so now i get to play and learn the SLC 500 series... More fun..
TIA
Dave
ps: the processor is 1747-l541 5/04 16k OS401

The AMCI stuff is really really good. The manuals are pretty straightforward and the hardware is very rugged and dependable. At my previous employer we used hundreds of the HT-20 resolvers and I never actually saw a single failure of the resolver itself, only one broken connector, but that was caused by severe abuse. Damaged cables were always the root cause of any faults we ever had.

This manual (page 13) tells you how to set up the I/O config in the SLC:
http://www.amci.com/pdfs/plc-modules/1500-05052.pdf

Your 1541-12 card is a 13 bit card with a high resolution tachometer feature. It reads the angle of the resolver shaft and translates it into a position value from 0-8191 and updates an RPM value accurate to 0.1 RPM.

Last edited:
Yup thats what it is i found the transducer on the machine and as soon as we get it powered up im going to get the program on the computer and see if i can figure out what they are using it for. I hope the program is still there.. It also has a panel view on it and that makes 2 of them in the plant so im hinting around about goingto classes for them also.
Thanks for the info and the links.
Dave

For what it's worth, I agree with OkiePC, AMCI's products are reliable. We have several machines with their resolvers and PLC modules and have never had problems with them. I too had some technical questions about the AMCI pieces when I came on board. There documents and technical support (Jeff) are top notch and worthy of a plug.

CeCo3

I'll also toss in my recomendation for AMCI resolvers. We have about a half a dozen here pluged into AMCI modules in our PLC5s. Most are single turn and one is multi-turn. I suspect Ron Popeil owns AMCI because you just "set it and forget it."