SLC 501 Transmit Enable

DanYost

I am not sure is transmit enable is the proper term, but that is what we call it. Pin 5 (or 3 depending on how you look at it) of a SLC503's DH485 port outputs a square wave that our G3/DSP/MC use to determine whether or not we can transmit. A customer of mine sent me his SLC501 which he was not able to get to communicate with a G3. I have it set up in my office, and I am seeing the same thing. If I connect a PIC to the same network, then we start talking.

My question is, is there a way to enable the transmit enable pin in the 501?

Thank you,
Dan

Any body have an idea?

I would like to avoid telling my customer that he may need to shell out any more money.

Thank you,
Dan

I've never heard of a way to do that. But, have you tried just jumping that pin to one thats always on on the G3 side of the cable? I'm pretty sure the 5/03 doesn't actually need the hardware handhsaking. I'll admit most of my experience has been with RS232, so i could be mistaken on that point. But it seems worth a try. Jump RTS and CTS on your other device, so that as soon as it requests permission to xmit, permission is granted.

-jeff

Thank you for the response. I wish it was as simple as that. I have tried pulling the line low and high, but to no avail. To the best of my knowledge it actually needs to see the transition of the line in order to operate.

Regards,
Dan

Does the other piece of equipment have an RTS type of line that turns on and off that you can tie it back to?

I've actually never even used a 5/01, but I figure if I keep throwing suggestions at ya, it'll keep bumping the thread up until someone smarter than us comes along, right?

Anwyay, back to the original question. As far as i can tell, the pinouts are the same for 5/01 and 5/03 DH485 ports. I've been looking in my software, and i can't find anyplace to set it for hardware handshaking, or full duplex or modem operation. Not if I have a 5/01 processor or if I have a 5/03. If there is a way to enable/disable the CTS line, that would be it.

-jeff