Beginner

josephccl

J
Dear teacher,

I'm a beginner to PLC, had never seen any real unit. Need advice what brand / model to purchase, how to consider purchasing the right PLC for my own use. My goal is to use computer to automate my house. Present resources I have - 286 computer, AMD-K62, Compaq Presario 700, PIC16F84A 18-Pin Enhanced Flash/EEPROM 8-bit Microcontroller (Microchip, using Assembly language). Only attended Basic Instrumentation courses and read "Your Personal PLC Tutor - PLCs.net", have little knowledge about sensor, need an overview how PLC has been configure to the whole system (home automation). Your sharing and advice is very much appreciated. TQ.

examine the difference between PLC and PC's
Read the previous threads
You will be able to gain better answers with better questions. ;)

You'll probably be better off with a X10 (www.x10.com) system rather than a PLC. They are more modular, and more geared towards home automaion.

Unless you know exactly what you want (and judging by your post, you don't).
  • How many inputs (motion sensors, contact and proximity sensors, temperature/humidity readings, do you need to get data from? What are their power requirements/ signal outputs?
  • How many outputs will you be controlloing, and what are their power requirements: Wall Sockets? Light Switches?, Thermostats?

Without even a rough I/O count (both discrete and analog), there's no way we could even begin to recommend a brand. A really old engineering rule:

<center><b>FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION</b></center>

I agree with Bill. You should really look into a general purpose device such as the PC.

Does anybody know how powerful the Commodore-64 really was?

It could have handled MOST of the process control in the US.

Most process control systems in the US are small. Small enough for the Commodore-64 to have handled nicely!

I dont know how many of you dealt with the TRASH 80...ie TRS 80 from Tandy/Radio Shack but back in the day it would do all this stuff. Turn on/off lights, start coffee in morning, etc etc al. What can be done today is only limited by the persons imagination. The wallet thing may play a part too.