Beginner with encoders help!

and A B Z phases are only active(3v) one at a time for this encoder when one is active others are at 0v

i may be confused here but the encoder only puts 3.5 volts on A or any other phase when its made any other time the phases are at 0 volts so wouldnt the relay only come on when a phase is made and thus showing motion? so when A is made 3.5 volts would trigger a relay and send 24voltbpower to bei card which sees 24 volt input and outputs 5 volts to the plc to be read as A+ on then go off when A goes to 0v B phase would go to 3.5 volts and trigger another relay and then drop to 0v and so on

Per this example, the encoder only has all 3 signals off for 2 short sections of each ABZ cycle. When the encoder is stopped the channels stay on as long as power is applied, and in a servo condition that would be always - even having a battery backup for when the power is off. (the robots I work on have a bank of batteries to keep the encoders on, otherwise the robot would need all axis' homed every time it was powered up)

The BEI card would have what I call a Stall-Detector and when that doesn't see the inputs stalled it triggers the motion output. If you have RSLogix500 the downloads section he under AB has a stall detector sample program (written by someone a lot younger, with a lot less experience, a lot of years ago - but still works as a good example)

EDIT: See next post - this graphic is WRONG!

Untitled.png

Last edited:
I just got that previous pic from a quick Google search, and looking at it just now it didn't seem they had the Z drawn correctly.

I just checked the spec's of an encoder and here is the correct pulse cycle, and all 3 are only off ONE quick section of a ABZ cycle.

Capture.PNG

i see thanks for the info! i have a long way to go in this field. ive only been in the plc and controls field for a year and half now and im addicted to soaking up information and learning all i can i appreciate you taking the time to inform me and help it means alot

yoyr absolutely right as i forget when i spun the encoder A comes on then both A and B are on then A drops and B is on. Z is fromw hat ive studied is the zero position so its very ahrd for me to ever catch it on the BEI modules led

my next step is to figure out how to scale the 0-10 volt output of the 1756-mo2ae card to control a powerflex 525 as im not actually using a servo in this case

The powerflex analog input should be 0 to 10 volts and not need scaling.

If it's a 0-5v input then run the 0-10 through 2 identical resistors as a voltage divider and pull the 0-5 off one resistor.

I do that to monitor solar batteries that go up to 14.4 volts with a 0-10v input signal conditioner

okay nice i didnt realize the powerflex was also 0-10v. question as i cant seem to find it anywhere is the 0-10v from m02ae for feedback only or actual control and if for control how does it know how many volts to send out? is this all based on how you tune it in studio5000?

very new to motion especially setting up the profiles and configurations trying to watch videos and read all i can but sometimes i just get bits and pieces pf what im looking for here and there

The Mo2AE will output a voltage in relation to the motion command that you use and possibly the settings of the module (you will need to check that). So it is for control of the servo amplifier, in your case the PF525.