New slc 500 user

Carlos V

Can somebody tell me if the rung comments and instruction comments are stored in the slc 500 controller or are they stored on you hard drive

They are stored with the RSLogix500 file, not int the processor. Same is true with all A-B processors. Although you can upload the file from the processor, it really is a pain to figure out without the original, commented and documented file.

finski2 said:
Same is true with all A-B processors.

This is only true of the older legacy PLC2/3/5 and SLC 100/500 product lines and with the Micrologix because it is based on the SLC500 model.

Last edited:
ControlLogix processors store tag names in RLL, UDT names, and store all comments and text in ST, FB, and SFC in the the processor.

So the RSLogix5000 Help File is lying when it says:
"If you do not have the matching project file for a controller, you can upload from the controller and create the project file. However, not everything that was stored in the original project file is available from the controller. If you upload from the controller, the new project file will not contain any of the following information:
§ Rung comments.
§ Descriptions for tags, tasks, programs, routines, tasks, modules, user-defined data types.
§ Chains of aliases (i.e., aliases pointing to other aliases).
Alias chains are not completely reconstructed. Instead, aliases refer to the tag name that most closely fits the memory addressed by the alias." ?

No, you are correct that the Logix processors will not store rung comments, instruction comments, etc.

David

P.S. with the CF card installed, you could, however, leave a copy of the project file there. So essentially, you could leave documentation on the processor.

finski2-

Alaric and the manual are not contradicting each other. You are focusing on RLL. Alaric is referring to the other three languages that Logix5K supports. He didn't specifically make a comment on RLL. He said UDTs are stored not UTD comments.

Granted, you aren't necessarily referring to the same programming forms but there is no contradiction because of this either.

Keith

finski2 made the implication that you cannot have any program documentation stored in all AB PLCs. This is simply not the case. It was only later that he narrowed the scope to rung comments.

Alaric-

The original question was regarding a SLC 500 ladder logic comment storage. I don't believe any implications were made on my part to include other programming languages.

If anything, your response was equally, if not more, misleading as though to imply rung comments and tag descriptions were stored in ControlLogix PLC's.

Check yourself, before you wreck yourself.

I'm out.