"noobie" PLC selection

FOCUS

This is my first post on these forums, to hi to all. I'll try to make this simple, because I am really new to PLCs

I need to select a PLC for a project I am working on. The projects will be fairly simple, and require very little in terms of programming.

This is where I am at currently:

I need to know wheather I should use either an A-B Pico, or MicroLogix1000

The reason I ask is that while I believe the pico to be powerful enough for my application, the price differance between the 2 is very small. But that being said, programming packages for the 2 very GREATLY in cost. Am I better sticking to the Pico if it is capable of what I need just because it is cheaper to program?

I guess I should elaberate a bit more on what it is being used for, to truly know if the Pico is even enough for my application.

The PLC will have to control a light stack, a motor controller (forward and reverse), and a solenoid. So about 4 outputs.

It will take inputs from a reed switch, 3 prox's, and a few other inputs (maybe 3 misc.). The literature on the Pico says it can store approx. 250 rungs of ladder logic. Is this enough to control a simple cyclce that has maybe 7 'states' of operation?

Sorry if my terminology is way off, or that I am providing useless information, this is day number 2 for me sinse I have been looking into PLCs

I believe that there is a M-L 1000 only programming package that is very cost effective (perhaps free). Check the AB site.

It is hard to say if 250 rungs is enough. If your seven states involve a lot of interlocks or such, it might be tight. I'd opt for the Micro-Logix.

Such a strategic decision. 10 years from now you will think back at this moment.

The ML1000 may be the clever choice. As Tom says the minimum size 10 point ML1000 can be programmed with the free version of RSLogix500.
An added bonus is that the code can be ported to the larger cousins ML1100 and up. My guess is that this will be very important to you sometime in the future.

JesperMP said:
Such a strategic decision. 10 years from now you will think back at this moment.

The ML1000 may be the clever choice. As Tom says the minimum size 10 point ML1000 can be programmed with the free version of RSLogix500.
An added bonus is that the code can be ported to the larger cousins ML1100 and up. My guess is that this will be very important to you sometime in the future.

Well, with that being said, what all will the RSLogix500 program? Is the largest PLC it can program only a 10 point?

PS)Thanks for the quick, useful repsonses!

EDIT: How would I go about getting RSLogix500 if it is indeed free?

Last edited:
L D[AR2 said:
Can't help on those PLC's, but good first post!

Have to agree with that, wish all new posts were as informative as this (yes, I'm guilty of not providing enough information too).

Welcome to the forum.
:site:

Thanks. I guess if I want more than a 10 point I'll have to spring for the $545 RSLogix500 Starter. Not bad, but still a lot more than the $150 PicoSoft

Just a comment, if you any time will upgrade your RSLogix500, then do go for the full version, not the Starter version.
And consider ML1100 or SLC500 as the larger PLCs to upgrade to. This because you get full online programming, and this is such a productivity booster that it is worth every penny.

If you know you're never going to be tackling more sophisticated projects, then stick with the Pico. If there is any possibility that once you get your feet wet, you're going to want to try more complex automation, then start with something that can grow along with you.

If the cost of the software is influencing your decision, you should be aware that there are less expensive options than Allen Bradley. Automation Direct's software is less expensive at $395 for the full version. They also have a free download which limits you to a 100-word program size. GE Fanuc has a low-cost (approximately $100) version of their software for the VersaMax Micro PLC line.

At both Horner (http://www.heapg.com) and Entertron (http://www.entertron.com) the software is free.

Last edited:
Steve Bailey said:
If you know you're never going to be tackling more sophisticated projects, then stick with the Pico. If there is any possibility that once you get your feet wet, you're going to want to try more complex automation, then start with something that can grow along with you.

If the cost of the software is influencing your decision, you should be aware that there are less expensive options than Allen Bradley. Automation Direct's software is less expensive at $395 for the full version. They also have a free download which limits you to a 100-word program size. GE Fanuc has a low-cost (approximately $100) version of their software for the VersaMax Micro PLC line.

At both Horner (http://www.heapg.com) and Entertron (http://www.entertron.com) the software is free.

Well, I want to stick to A-B because that is what I will be using for larger projects, so I might as well get my feet wet with them. Cost is only an issue right now. This is something I will be doing a few times, so I want to do it right the 1st time and stick with it, so I think I'll pass on the Pico for this project. For OTHER reasons I rather not use Fanuc software/hardware. Conflict of interests you might say.

Thanks for all of the input. As of right now I think I will get the A-B ML1000, and use the free software. For the time being I think a 10 point will cover my bases. If I need to program a larger A-B Unit, and don't have the money for the full version, I can just barrow it from work.

You'll need to make sure that the model of the ML1000 that the free version of the software works with (basically, it works with one very specific model only!) will provide the IO that you need.

Other than that, it should work fine.

And I'll repeat it -- GREAT FIRST POST! Welcome aboard!

Well, I guess I am SOL right now, as my laptop runs Vista, and RSLogix 500 will not install.

I'll just install it on another computer to play around with later.