Downloading with S7-400PLC's Connected in Profibus DP network- confusion??

drspanda

Dear Experts,

My system consists of 2 PLC's and several VFD's with 3 PC Stations.

Right now I need to modify one logic on first PLC Siemens 400(BK).

What should I do after modification?? During commissioning the German engineer was doing some download operation in netpro to PC Stations also...I was not knowing why this operation is required?? and Do just download from LAD/STL/FBD editor is not sufficient??

The netpro view:
netpro.JPG

Also please explain me the importance of submenu's:
1.selected stations
2.selected stations and partner stations
netprosubmenu.JPG

When we will be using them.

Hi drspanda.

As you want to download code, you should do this from the LAD/STL/FBD editor. Alternatively you can select the block in Simatic Manager blocks view and then download from there.

Downloading from NetPro is typically used for when you have changed the connection setup between stations. The advantage is that multiple HW configs can be downloaded in one go.

Can you please provide me an example?

JesperMP said:
Hi drspanda.
Downloading from NetPro is typically used for when you have changed the connection setup between stations. The advantage is that multiple HW configs can be downloaded in one go.

I know HW configuaration...but what do you mean by multiple?...can you provide me a simple example?

by dragging a box outside several stations, they get selected(they get marked with dark blue color).
If you activate download, then you will download the HW config to all the selected stations.
Kinda obvious if you ask me.

Successfull....but having some doubts.

Dear All,

Just have a look at the screen shot pasted in the previous threads....I was working on PC-Station (Prog) made the following steps:

1. Created a DB and an FB in step7 to get some additional values from the PLC.

2. In Intouch v9.0 I have created tags to read the data of DB created in step 1.

3. observed an error.....went to OPC scout and observed that My newly created DB is not there.

4. Restarted PC station I mean operating system restarted.

5. Same problem.

6. opened step7 went to netpro then right click on PC-Station (Prog) then download --> selected stations.

7. Done!

Now my doubt.

Do I need to repeat step 6 for the PC-Station(BK) and PC-Station(TK)? Because all are networked. Please explain in detail?

Till now I have not updated Intouch project in other PC-stations.

I am guessing that you are adressing the PLC tags symbolically. If so, then you have to compile and download all the affected stations in NetPro.
This because the symbol table that is a part of the OPC configuration must be updated.

Tip: In stead of downloading you can also import the .xdb file in the Station Configurator. This is useful the other stations BK and TK in your programming software with NetPro is located on the other PC.

JesperMP said:
I am guessing that you are adressing the PLC tags symbolically.
Yes...this project is addressing the PLC Tags by symbols.
Can I use direct addressing like DB10.DBW0??

Tip: In stead of downloading you can also import the .xdb file in the Station Configurator.

As I have done the job in PC-Station(Prog)...Should I export the .xdb file first, and then import this file from other PC-Stations BK and TK...Did I understand Correct?

This is useful the other stations BK and TK in your programming software with NetPro is located on the other PC.

Frankly, I could not understand this statement.

As I have done the job in PC-Station(Prog)...Should I export the .xdb file first, and then import this file from other PC-Stations BK and TK...Did I understand Correct?
Yes. Just manually copy the necessary .xdb file to the target PC and then use the Import function in the Station COnfigurator.
You will find the .xdb files in the /XDBs/ subdirectory in the project directory on the engineering PC (the one with STEP7 and NetPro).

An alternate way to do...

Dear Jesper,

I want to share the below information with you and all....My task was "How to update my Intouch application with newly created tags?" and I have done with one PC-Station (Prog)....I need to update PC-Station (TK).

I have gone to netpro from PC-Station(Prog) physically...then I have selected PC-Station(TK).....right click ....then download...selected stations.....OPC Server restarted and I am done..

I know that I should start another thread but as I have posted my network of PLC's I thought I would seek help from this post:

The question is Can I use S7 timer from one CPU in OB1 of second CPU? Is it possible?

Yes. You can do it like that as well. There are a couple of pitfalls that sometimes goofs it up, mostly that the names of the PC stations are not exactly as specified in Windows. And you have to ude the Configuration Console OR import the .xdb file at least once anyway.

I like to recommend using import of the .xdb file because it is a bit simpler when you begin with a new project.

One more doubt....so restarted the thread.

Dear Jesper,

I got one more doubt....

A PC-Station is a virtual station where simatic modules are present like CP5613...In our case there are three PC-Stations...All having OPC server and CP5613.

Let me suppose that I am working in a PC where configuaration of PC-Station(Prog) is imported in station configuarator...I have created some new tags in Intouch....After creation of the tags...I am right clicking this PC-Station(Prog) in netpro and download submenu and finally selected stations menu...

Actually what happens in this operation what is being downloaded into where?? what is the source and destination is my doubt...

The S7 help is:
When you save the connection table, connection data are generated which must be downloaded to the participating programmable modules (CPUs/FMs).
In programmable controllers with multicomputing capability (such as S7-400) a number of CPUs can be inserted in a station. Each of these CPUs can have its own connection table.
Using the menu command PLC > Download to Current Project > Selected Station(s) the connection tables and the hardware configuration are downloaded to selected stations; that is, to the CPUs in the selected stations (to each CPU its own connection table). The menu command can be used for all types of connection.

I am not able to understand the help given above.

Fundamentally I need to tell Simatic OPC Server in every PC-Station that I have created new tags. Is this happening with download....This is my guess.

I dont know exactly where the symbolic tag list is stored. I guess I could find out whith a little detective work. But anyway, when you download from NetPro, or import the xdb file, all relevant settings are set in the right places. The virtual rack is really just a representation of the various components in the PC Station. If you shut down the Station Configurator, the settings and drivers etc. are still there and are still active.

And to your question: Yes, download from NetPro, or import of the xdb file will update the symbolic tag list.