VPN for CompactLogix & PV+

Klausbird

First, I am quite happy to have found this forum, as it is always nice to gain experience & opinions from everyday users of these products. Manufacturers are not always useful or convenient.

Anyway, we currently (and in the past, as well) have a need to remotely access a customer’s control devices (plc’s, panelviews, etc) for de-buging purposes. I have nearly settled on using the AB 9300-RADES Modem Ethernet Switch, because it dosen’t require much technical skill to hookup and maintain for the customer. However, after speaking with some of my colleagues and checking through some of these forum threads, I have discovered the VPN option.

Like many others with similar questions, I have no prior knowledge of what VPN is and what is required to use it successfully. My customer has an AB L32E CompactLogix PLC and an AB PV+ 1000, and some RTA Serial-to-Ethernet/IP convertors. Currently there is no PC at the machine, and I would not like to add one just for this purpose. Although they probably have an IT department, the engineers and Maintenance personel I deal with are really not computer-savy (or PLC-savy). Therefore, I am a little concerned to ask them to setup something like this on their end. So, anyway, I hate to ask the same questions as others have, but I have not found a complete summary in plain english.

It is probably not as easy as this but, could you please list for me the required components on both ends of this VPN network, including the necessary features and drivers on these components? Thanks, in advance, for helping me make an educated decision.

[font=&quot]Klaus in Va[/font]

Hi,

I use a VPN system at work to gain remote access to site with VNC viewer. This was set up by our external IT department so unfortunatly i cannot detial how to set it up.
i can tell you that i use it to access my desktop computer that has RS Linx fitted along with RS500/5000 etc. I can use this system to drill down to all the ethernet items on site(Rockwell stuff). and it works well. However like you say you will need a computer on site with an internet connection connected to the ethernet I/P network, I have heard others using RS linx across the VPN i have never tried this. the VPN connection needs to be set up on the computer you are dialing in from this is fine for my home computer, however we also use the www.LOGMEIN.com system this once set up means you can connect to any computer from any computer with an internet connection, maybe worth a look.

hope this helps, i am sure others will help with the VPN thing, i dont think it is that hard and windows xp, i think has a wizard for it, as for the remote server out of my league.

myles

VPN Tunnel

Hi Klausbird
We have succesfully set up a VPN tunnel system to get access remotely. Pl look at the attached dcuments. It is very easy to set up and feels like you are sitting front of the machine. If anyone needs further information pl do not hesitate to ask. best thing is you do not need a computer on the remote end.

Sorry I had to split screen shots into 2 documents to keep it under 300kb.

Last edited:
Ranjith said:
Hi Klausbird
We have succesfully set up a VPN tunnel system to get access remotely. Pl look at the attached dcuments. It is very easy to set up and feels like you are sitting front of the machine. If anyone needs further information pl do not hesitate to ask. best thing is you do not need a computer on the remote end.

Sorry I had to split screen shots into 2 documents to keep it under 300kb.

Great documentation (I'll study it more when I get time), thanks for sharing it with us.

Thank you all very much for your responses. That will get me started.

I do have a question for Ranjith. I tried looking up the router you mentioned, but it does not appear to be available in the US. Could you tell me what features are required so I can try to find a suitable router here? Or if anyone has a router recommendation for this application, I would appreciate it.

All u need is an ADSL router with VPN pass-through. Search for NetComm NB5Plus4 ADSL Modem Router. I think this is the new model. From memory this is about A$150.

Last edited:
Ranjith, thank you very much for your reply. Sorry to respond so late (I have been out of town for a week). I will check into the router you recommended. Anything I need to know about the hardware or software setup on either end?