Steps to take to find employment working with PLC.

nappojb

Hi, my nane is Jer and I am Graduating from DeVry and want to get into working with PLC. Since I am green, I am not sure the steps I should take to find employment working with PLC. Could anyone help me find the actions that I must take in order for me to find what I am looking for.
I really do appreciate any helpful tips.
Thank You
Jer.

When you write your resume, focus on your education, obviously. GPA should be right up in front, attendance, awards, honors. Go all out.

My first boss told me, a year later, that he had been very concerned about my lack of experience, but with my 3.98 GPA and honors, he was sure I could pick up anything I needed very fast.

Good luck!

TM

From my old boss, we used to laugh at people who put their GPA on the resume...sort of pompus IMHO. Just put down your skills in the area which you want to apply, get lots of experience under your belt (might have to work some place that pays less than what you want).

IMHO

stick with it!!!

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago. I seemed to graduate school right when the economy was slowing down to a halt and the only people that were hiring were other people in the field with at least five years of experience. I had a job offer to me about a month before i was scheduled to graduate. Stupid me I turned it down because I thought I could get more money! It was paying 12/hr. Well I thought if that job offer came quickly more should follow. Boy was i wrong I spent about 4 months after school working nights at a grocery store. During the day I would find all the jobs i could on the web and send resumes that day normally at least 10-12 resumes.then make follow up calls to people i sent my resume to from a few days ago Well I wanted into the control field pretty bad so i didnt give up. Thats the biggest key dont give up. There are only 4 guys that I graduated that have found jobs in the control industry. It can be discouraging but DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here are some tips that helped me
1. Make your resume based around what you have learned and not your work experience b/c you probably only have a little
2. I had better luck with websites that were online newspapers, that way i knew the ad was frequent and up to date
3. just because youve graduated doesnt mean you know everything, while i was looking for a job I spent alot of time trying to keep up on new technologies and building on what i learned in school.
4. DONT GIVE UP!!!!
5. Get the logix pro simulator at www.thelearningpit.com and work the exercises ON YOUR OWN!!! I cannot begin do descibe how much this has helped me. after your have done all the exercises make up different scenarios then write the code. logix pro did make me look like a pro ha ha just kidding but its worth more than gold to the beginner. I still use it to thisday.
6. MAKE THIS SITE RELIGOUS!!!
7. I didnt put my gpa on my resume and i was still hired. I think it looks more professional without it normally your transcript will tell them your gpa
8.once you get an interview ask what type of questions will be asked, behavioral/interview or job specific questions then read up on whatever they saythe questions will be like. study up on them
anyhoo by book is in the mail ha ha.
Good luck!!!! and DONT GIVE UP!!!!

1 for, 2 against

All sound advice :) Also, don't rule out head-hunters. That's how I landed my current job.

As for putting GPA on the resume, I stand by it. If you don't have any experience, you have to present something to make yourself stand out, and if all you have is education, use it.

IMHO :)

TM

Thanks for all the feedback

I want to thank everyone that gave me some feedback. I will take every thing into consideration. And a special thanks to EastKodakGuy, I appreciate all your tips and I wont give up!!!!
Thanks again
Jer.

I was going to let this pass by BUT:

I have recently inherited the house (home) I grew up in and plan to relocate there this summer. The house is in a suburb of Birmingham, AL (USA), actual location Tarrant, AL.

I am looking for a position in the Birmingham, AL area in the industrial maintenance field. I prefer electrical/automation work but can and will perform well in a multicraft position, alas my welding abilities have deteriorated with my eyes. With MIG/TIG I can do ok but stick I have difficulties. I have local (Birmingham) references if needed and can provide a resume or any documentation requested.

I am open to a position that requires (service work) travel if I can be located in Birmingham and home "many" weekends.

The last stipulation is that the house has to be "fixed". This will take me at least a month and maybe till the 4th of July or thereabouts, I can only work on it weekends and have to travel approximately 200 miles one way. In many ways I do not relish leaving the place I am presently employed at but many factors are involved with my decision to relocate.

If you know of or hear of a position I may be qualified for please contact me.