Technical step by steps

Tmills407

Work instruction.

Hey seasoned vets, I have to make some work instruction for a couple things and I’m just out of school I was wondering if y’all would be willing to help me.
I have to make step by step change process for
1. Kinetix Drive Change
2. I/O card diagnose & swap analog and discreet
3.encoder swap

Just looking for technical steps that could be missed in my greener side instruction compared to seasoned vets! Thank you!

The first step in developing a work instruction is to understand the work itself. Once you've done it a couple of times, note each step you take (each mouse click, each prompt that shows up, etc.) with screenshots and document it.

Screen recorded/narrated How-To's

The first step in developing a work instruction is to understand the work itself. Once you've done it a couple of times, note each step you take (each mouse click, each prompt that shows up, etc.) with screenshots and document it.

I always start with the device manuals. I can usually 'borrow' their screen shots and typically have the general steps laid out well.

Next, I agree with quoted above. I have also done screen recorded/narrated How-To docs for tasks that a technician may be doing infrequently or done by the greenest of PLC users.

Think 'will a non-tech savvy maintenance guy with a PC preprogrammed with the program and Linx configured be able to follow video live to connect and clear a fault on this PLC?'

Do the first few steps address the necessary LOTO preparations and PPE requirements?

+1

You have to consider the target audience and also any prerequisite steps such as putting the machine in a safe state.

I would start by getting the user manuals. A lot can probably be copied from the user manuals. You can also screenshot pages from the manuals if you can't take photos yourself

I’ve got the kinetix drive change out work instruction done

Good for you !

Do you have both the physical drive change out as well as how to restore the parameters?

Do your instructions include how to handle things if Maintenance doesn't have quite the same exact model number / firmware, but it will work in the location, and which parameters to look for?
That kind of change has happened to me more than once.

others have posted a lot of good info.
this is what i do.

get the document you have to modify.
read them several times.
get with the area supervisor and discuss with him what needs to be changed.
take notes, then repeat what your understanding is.
go to the machine (area of work) and watch the process.
WARNING - everyone does it differently, so watch how the process gets
done and take notes. ask the operators questions and take notes.
go back to the area supervisor and discuss what you have seen.
what is the process he wants? write it down.
modify your instructions, add pictures if necessary.
get with supervisor and confirm this is correct
modify until supervisor is happy.
ask if you need to do the operation or describe the operation to the operator in order. if you do this, explain to the operator that there is an issue processing the operation for example and get their help. it will go easier.

when the supervisor is happy after reading your document, email it to him so he can forward it to the work instruction (SOP) coordinator.
regards,
james