Pcmk/b Card

ckabine

My company bought us new laptops with out the PCMCIA slot. I was reading previous threads and people recommended the quatech usb to pcmcia adaptor for an external Pcmcia slot but nobody had tried it out. Has anybody tried it and does it work. If not what else is out there?

Sorry i deleted my previus post but i didn't see that you were asking for the slot and not the pcm card.

Well here we have one working with a Microtech Card Reader (pcd40), i haven't use that one (my lap does have the slot), but i haven't heard the user complainig about it...:ROFLMAO:

Juan

another way to skin the cat ...

quite a few people have started using a ControlLogix system - without a processor - as a communication bridge ...

basic idea:

you buy a small ControlLogix chassis and a power supply ... you buy a ControlLogix Ethernet module and plug that into the chassis ... now you can use your computer’s Ethernet port to reach the ControlLogix chassis backplane ...

the next step depends on which Allen-Bradley network you want to work with ... since you mentioned a PCMK card, you’re probably interested in DH+ (Data Highway Plus) ... so you buy a 1756-DHRIO module and plug that into the chassis ... now you can go through the Ethernet link and jump out onto the DH+ connection ...

later if you need some other type of network, there’s a good chance that the ControlLogix platform will have a communication module for it ... you can build the system as your needs increase ...

best part for the future: when you eventually buy another computer that’s been “new and improved” you won’t have to worry what type of card slot or motherboard bus, etc. it has available ...

this way might cost more to get started ... so shop around first and if you come up with some price comparisons, please come back and post them ... in the meantime, this is just another way to make the communication link ...

final note: you do NOT need a processor in the ControlLogix chassis to make this work ... and you won’t need RSLogix5000 - just a current copy of RSLinx ...

OkiePC said:
http://raise.rockwellautomation.com/RAConfig/resultsComponents.asp?CID=90C601B8908B4579BDDA9377F36C8FDF

In support of Ron's Gateway Idea, the link contains full retail prices, your company may have a very favorable discount.

QUOTE]

That link has expired (your personal login perhaps??). My local supplier was recommending something similar when I was pricing ENET module for a data collection project. I thought at the time he was nuts recommending a caviar PLC setup as a gateway. I've since had some training on 5K stuff, and I realized what he was talking about. Just a chassis and comm modules in the necessary flavors. Sweet!

I have got a couple of these gateways operating and they work well. Only problem I have is if there is a device on a 5/04's serial network you can't see it via the gateway, when online via the DH+ you can. I use the 2 channel DH+ cards so I can have 2 seperate networks through the one gateway. Commissoning time is about 5 minutes.

Trying to understand?

How does not having a PCMCIA slot; which in my opinion buying laptops without is totally retarded, got to do with gateways etc.?

Y'all are *** UMING, the need would be in-house, what if it is not?

Think about the question and answer it, please.

rsdoran said:
How does not having a PCMCIA slot; which in my opinion buying laptops without is totally retarded, got to do with gateways etc.?

I am seriously considering switching to a Macbook pro (No PCMCIA slot) for my primary computer, so this thread is of interest to me.
I would run my normal windows based design and development software (RSLogix, AutoCAD, etc.) under windows through parallels desktop.

I would probably keep a windows PC laptop to use as my primary field computer, but it would be nice to have the same capabilities on the Apple.

Using a small CLX chassis as a comms bridge sounds like a surefire way to accomplish this. Although it would be a bit of a pain to cary it around and plug it in, it may be a good "Plan B" solution.

I would like some more info on a USB PCMCIA adapter if it exists and works with the PCMK though. If this isn't a workable solution, then it sounds like a CLX gateway is the only game in town.

I could not get the adapter to work. I believe it is designed just for a wireless modem card. I think I will have to go Ron's route. The other thing I was thing was start using slc500/05 instead of the 04. That way you could have the ethernet port.

Take a look at the Toshiba model Tecra A8 and A9, they come with a PCMCIA slot and a Serial Port

... what else is out there?

that was the original question ... the path that I mentioned was an answer that quite a few people have started using ... mostly these are "integrator" type people who have to go from one type of PLC to another - and use many types of computers to do their programming ...

when you get right down to it, the original posters best solution might be a lot simpler than buying expensive new communication hardware ...

My company bought us new laptops with out the PCMCIA slot

how about just telling them to go back and buy some more computers - and this time do their homework first? ... that might be cheaper and easier in the long run ...

Our company did a lot of research prior to replacing the laptops.
The DELL Latitude D620 supports Serial, Ethernet, and SINGLE PCMCIA.
The only problem is that there is no Parallel port, and this is used for some software activation.

Rockwell understands that the PC technology is leaving behind the Industrial Controls technologies. Several of their new comms modules for the ControlLogix platform (Ethernet and ControlNet) now have USB ports on the front to get to the backplane or out on the network.

I understand that Rockwell is in development of USB adapters for their legacy networks, ie DH+. They already have a USB adapter for DH-485 called a 1747-UIC.

rsdoran said:

Not sure why the attitude is required to be honest.
The guy is asking a fair question and he got a fair answer.
He wanted options and several have been presented.

Having another 'bad day' or something?

We had a customer that purchased new Dell computers with the new ExpressCard slots instead of the PCMCIA. ExpressCard is the next generation card slot adapter for notebook computers. The cards are physically smaller than the PCMCIA. ExpressCard integrates to the PCI Express bus interface.

You can still order Dell notebooks with both standard RS-232 serial and PC Card slots. I purchase Latitude 800 series for my company.