AB SCANport to VFD problem

laurens

Hi,
I have removed an AB 1336 plus 2 VFD from a machine, that was controlled by scanport (for mixer recipes). The plc is a AB SLC 5/03 with a scanport output module. The new VFD is a powerflex 700 as 1336 are no longer available. is it possible to get the new set up to work? as we are having trouble! does the plc prog need modding? any help much appreciated... the company who make the machine say its not, and we need to source a 1336. But im not so sure...
thanks
Mark Walton Laurens Patisseries Newark

I think so

I've never seen this done with a scanport module, but I would certainly think it would work. The closest I have come would be a SLC to 700 via devicenet. I'm not sure what port the scanport was on a 1336, but on a 20-COMM-C I believe it is scanport 5. You will probably have some configuring to do in the PF700, but I think you should be able to make it work. Exactly what issues are you having?

I don't think so...

I'm pretty sure the PF family of drives uses a different drive interface protocol (DPI). I don't think you can get a direct ScanPort connection to it.

You can use the first two input words to get a rough idea of whats going on. Specifically check the channel ID values in bits 0, 1 and 2 and bits 8, 9 and 10 in word 0 as well as bits 0, 1 and 2 in word 1. These bit patterns should tell you the Scanport channel the SM1 channel is connected to. As russmartin said, this is typically 5 when going though a PF comm adapter but could be another value for a direct connection. If the value is 7 then the SM1 channel is not connected to what it believes is a ScanPort channel.

If you make it past this step then, yes, you have some programming to do. As I remember the status and command word bit definitions are different between the 1336 and the PF700. In addition, the PF700 can only be set up to use 3-wire start/stop commands. Users often set up the 1336 in 2-wire start/stop mode as it allows the plc to control the drive run command with a single bit. You can't do this with a PF700 (at least you couldn't a couple of years ago).

Check the ID and let us know where you sit.

Keith

were trying to connect DPI port 2 on the PF700 to the scanport card. this is through mini-din style plug cable.we have the drive sat with green LED saying no inhibits waiting for signal. but card has flashing red LED saying communication problem. this goes to solid red whin drive is unplugged. all settings in drive are set for DPI port 2. the recipe running is asking for 75rpm. i dont have the experience, but i think that because the parameters in the PF700 are different to the 1336 the programme might need modding????
thanks

I stand (at least partially) corrected...

I just by chance got off the phone with someone who is connected to a PF70 drive using a ScanPort card (1203-SM1). If you can do this with a PF70 I have a high degree of confidence you can do it with a PF700.

The ScanPort module really doesn't care about 'device profile' per se. The assumption is that the first data word to each drive is a bit command word, the second is a speed command and all subsequent words are datalink words if desired. However, each drive has its own command word layout. So that will need to be checked.

In addition, the SM1 may be configured to use datalink words and the drive may not have any configured datalinks, or vice versa.

Keith

It will work with the PowerFlex drives. I belive you have to lower the communication rate on the Scanport DPI port on the drive (lower than default value). You must also set the drive to allow commands from that DPI port (do not remember what port number that is at the moment). I'll try to look a drawing set that this was done on since it has all the required drive settings.

Darren

Here is a picture of the settings (sorry not in text). Also, depending if your Scanport module is setup as a Class 3 device in the SLC module setup, you may need to have a matching set of datalinks enabled in the drive to get the connection to succeed. It is basically like devicenet in that regard. The Input and Output image size must match in the module to the drive to get it to communicate correctly. Also, you should get the manual at http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1203-um009_-en-p.pdf

if you do not have it.

FanVFDSettings.JPG

Last edited:
Baud rate OK

We set the baud rate to 125Kbs and pointed the PLC comms in the PF700 to DPI port 2. Should we be able to at least get hand shake and comms lights active? Does anyone out there know whether we will have to change the configuration of the word bits in the PLC, I would have thought that AB would have standardized this. The rationale behind this thought is qualified by the notion that nobody should change protocol without upgrading, for example, RS232c as opposed to RS232 or in this case ScanPort-A as opposed to just ScanPort. ScanPort-A being a fictitios example. Therfore, has the protocol changed without notice? Does the PF700 need a node address?

"Should we be able to at least get hand shake and comms lights active?"

Yes, you should.

"Does anyone out there know whether we will have to change the configuration of the word bits in the PLC?"

I looked at both manuals this morning and the command/status words are the same.

Some questions for you.

Is the PF700 a vector model? (if it is a vector drive and the OEM used Enhanced mode on the SM1 with data links, some of those values may now be 32bit and cause issues)

How is the 1203-SM1 module set up in the SLC program? (Basic or Enhanced)

If it is enhanced you will need to setup the data links that same as they were setup in the 1336 drive.

Do you have a copy of the SLC program that you are allowed to post? This may help in figuring out what the problem is. Even if it is just an upload file we should be able to at least know if the module is in enhanced or basic mode.

Unfortunately when you change hardware that the original OEM used you may need to read the manuals to figure out how to get it to work.

1336LogicStructure.JPG

Above is the 1336 II Command/Status Bits.

Below is the PF700 Command/Status Bits.

PF700LogicCommand.JPG

PF700LogicStatus.JPG

Last edited:
APS was the old Advanced Programming Software that run on the DOS computer system. It is now considered obsolete. RSLogix500 is the current computer software program that you need to upload, view, and modify the SLC 5/03 ladder logic program.

With RSLogix 500 go into the IO config and look to see if the SM1 is defined as Basic or Enhanced. See below.

SM1EnhancedConfig.JPG