1747-uic problem

valdi

I am having no luck with my UIC connecting to a slc 5/03 that was originaly programmed using the 1747-pic module. I can not go online nor do I see any processors found in the rs who in rs linx. My laptop has no serial port so I have to use the 1747-uic. I have my com port set to com 5 in linx/device manager. I have the switch set to RS485 with the 1747-c13 cable.I tried different nodes but that did'nt help either. I have tried 4 different driver types and none worked. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Can your post a screenshot of your Comms window

This is something I wrote 3 years ago for someone having trouble on an opposite shift:

The problem you were experiencing was that the 1747-UIC was being detected in the USB port in which it was not configured. To overcome this go into START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > HARDWARE > DEVICE MANAGER and click on PORTS (COM and LPT). This will tell you where the USB DH-485 Serial Port is designated. In the USB port you used it has it as COM 4; remember the COM port number.

Open RSLinx, UNCHECK Autobrowse in the top left.Go into Communications then Configure Drivers... Highlight the conflicted port and click on Stop.

Open the drop down menu under Available Driver Types and select RS-232 DF1 devices and click on Add New and accept its name.

Change the Comm. Port setting to the designated one noted from Device Manager ie COM 4.

Change Device to 1770-KF3/1747-KE and change Error Checking to CRC and click OK.

Do Not carry out an Auto-Configure.

Close the config screen and you should see the set comms browsing which should locate your attached PLC.

Try this - hope it helps.

The Drivers for the 1747-UIC were lost therefore the interface could not be used and had to have the Drivers re-installed.

Couple up the USB-DH485 (1747-UIC) between the PLC and PC before powering up the PC.

The PC should detect the USB hardware and load the Drivers.

Click on Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager then expand Ports (COM & LPT) to find which port you have connected to. Note it, then exit back to the desk top.

Execute RSLinx. Uncheck the Autobrowse box near the top left corner. Click on Communications and Configure Drivers. You should see under Configured Devices the following: AB_DF1-1,DH485…. If this shows Port Conflict then click on Stop. Re-highlight this line then click on Configure. Enter the com port you are connected to in Comm Port:.

Ensure

You have selected the correct com port.

Device: 1770-KF3/1747-KE

Baud: 19200

Station Number: 00

Parity: None

Error Checking: CRC

Stop Bits: 1

Protocol: Full Duplex

DO NOT auto-configure. Click on OK.

Highlight the new data under Configured Devices and click on Start to which Running will be displayed in place of stopped. Click on Close to go back to the Browsing screen. Check the Autobrowse box to enable node browsing. Your PLC node should appear, if not exit RSLinx then re-enter RSLinx.

1747-UIC Problem

Here is how I have Rslinx lite configured.
AB_KT-11..JPG

comport..JPG

linx2..JPG

linx3..JPG

linx..JPG

version..JPG

I cannot communicate with any of the 4 drivers. I am using COM port 5 both in linx and in device manager.When I do a RS Who I do not get anything except and error. We have several lines using the 5/03 PLC's . We originally used the PIC module with no problems before. Our company had acquired new laptops with no serial ports so I had to get this UIC module to communicate with the PlC's. THe UIC module that I have is the first generation produced. I am wondering if My RSLinx is out of date?

I'm using old links than that and have no problems. I know when I installed the drive it only works with the one usb port when I plug the UIC into another usb I can't connect to slc or panel views. I aways use mine for dh485.

Try uninstall and install the drive for the UIC had to do it once. and what ever you do donot hit the auto config when useing the UIC.

Problem solved

I finally got it to communicate. It was my out of date RS linx. I ditched the old RS linx and downloaded the free RSlinx classic lite from Rockwell and shabam the UIC works like a charm. The who in RS who is screaming too. I can communicate with any plc in the shop now. This is really a great helpful site. Thank you for your input on this everyone. :)

Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but wondered if anyone could give me some pointers on things to test. I have one CPU on site I need to connect to through the DH485 port. The problem I have is that I have an old lead (original ab one) but I believe my predecessor used a standard ethernet cable with it, rumour is that he accidentally blew up 2 CPUs while testing if he could get connected. I have made up a 1747-c13 lead (wires 3 & 6 disconnected) but 1st have heard that it might of damaged the uic lead and 2nd worry I too will gain legendary status by shutting half the factory down if the uic is now faulty. I don't have a spare CPU to try it on as they all got used up by my predecessor. If I plug the uic into my usb port should i be getting 24v on pins 3 & 6? Or what else can I try to test before plugging in.

When connected to my pc I get the ok led on and it shows up in device manager as com port 4 and in the usb connection as usb to serial converter
Cheers

Ok I see, so not much I can test then really. I'll just go for plugging it in and seeing what happens, With the 1747-c13 lead I can't see much going wrong (hopefully).
Cheers for replying