RTD (resistance temp. detector) and 1746-NI8

MGuenette

Hi,

I have a Pt385 (100 Ohms) sensor to mesure the outside temperature connected to a 1746-NI8. I have to cailbrate it but I'm not able to find any solution. The channel is configured in Current. The sensor is powered by 5V.
Anyone has a solution?

Thanks

Martin.

If you have a 100Ohm rtd, and an input card.. you'll need a 4-20ma transmitter.

Contact Rosemount and they'll hook you up. Find what scaling you need and let them know so they can configure it for you. If you happen to have a hart communicator (which configures the transmitters) you can skip that step.
Once you get the transmitter use an scp, it's a bit easier to set up than the scl argument. Remember the scaling on the input card is 3277-16384.

Good luck!

MGuenette said:
Hi,

I have a Pt385 (100 Ohms) sensor to mesure the outside temperature connected to a 1746-NI8. I have to cailbrate it but I'm not able to find any solution. The channel is configured in Current. The sensor is powered by 5V.
Anyone has a solution?

Thanks

Martin.

Too late to use a 1746-NR8, the RTD input module? If yes, then as stated you need a PT100/4-20ma transmitter. Anderson Instruments can supply you an RTD with the transmitter built in the head.

http://www.andinst.com/food-temp-products.php

curlyandshemp said:
Too late to use a 1746-NR8, the RTD input module? If yes, then as stated you need a PT100/4-20ma transmitter. Anderson Instruments can supply you an RTD with the transmitter built in the head.

http://www.andinst.com/food-temp-products.php

Yes too late : I forgot to tell you that the snesor is connected to a WEIDMULLER 8560700000 and then connected to the 1746-NI8 Card

MGuenette said:
Yes too late : I forgot to tell you that the snesor is connected to a WEIDMULLER 8560700000 and then connected to the 1746-NI8 Card

Is that the DIN rail mounted pt100 - 4/20ma transmitter? By default the calibration should be 4ma = 0c 20ma=100c

Also based on wiring diagram, this unit has to be powered with 24vdc

weid_rtd.jpg

Last edited:
curlyandshemp said:
Is that the DIN rail mounted pt100 - 4/20ma transmitter? By default the calibration should be 4ma = 0c 20ma=100c

Also based on wiring diagram, this unit has to be powered with 24vdc

weid_rtd.jpg

The module is setted in 0-10V mode. The PT100 is made for a range -200 to 850 C and is powered with 24V (error on the electrical drawing). I verified my 1746 card and the channel 4 is 0-10V. If I look the dipswitch, the minimum input value is -25 C

Actually is 8 degrees C outise and the inpuit signal is 21869 in the PLC.

Last edited:
MGuenette said:
The module is setted in 0-10V mode. The PT100 is made for a range -200 to 850 C and is powered with 24V (error on the electrical drawing). I verified my 1746 card and the channel 4 is 0-10V.

Actually is 8 degrees C outise and the inpuit signal is 21869 in the PLC.

Ensure the module is set up right. Have you downloaded the configuration tool here . WaveTool. Tells you how to set up DIP switches based on the input and output requirements

curlyandshemp said:
Ensure the module is set up right. Have you downloaded the configuration tool here . WaveTool. Tells you how to set up DIP switches based on the input and output requirements

How are you scaling your input values. Attached are the range of values based on the analog input configuration

scaled_units.jpg

Last question :

do I need to turn the channel Enable on the 1746-NI8 card? Actually the the channel is disable and I receive a signal!?

MGuenette said:
Last question :

do I need to turn the channel Enable on the 1746-NI8 card? Actually the the channel is disable and I receive a signal!?

Is the channel +/-10vdc or 0-10Vdc

You need to enable the input card with Bit 11 for the required channel